Frontier has today launched Elite: Dangerous Arena, a standalone dogfighting release for anyone wanting to just blasting stuff in space.
Elite: Dangerous players will know Arena as CQC, and if you own Elite: Dangerous already, then you already have Arena. If on the other hands you just want to do the dogfighting stuff then Arena is available for $7.49 (£4.99/€6.75) which sounds like a fair deal.
- Four agile, combat-honed space ships. Choose from the fast and aggressive Federal and Imperial Fighters, the damage-dealing Eagle or the heavyweight Sidewinder.
- Multiple tactical options with custom loadouts unlocked by ranking up.
- Four Arenas: Elevate’s towering view, Cluster Compound’s mining facility, Asteria Point’s cavernous space station and Ice Field’s frozen asteroid belt.
- Eight-player Free for All, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag game modes.
- Realistic, agile starship handling powered by Elite Dangerous’ advanced simulation technology
Frontier are also holding the Close Quarter Combat Championships tournament where there’s $100,000 up for grabs and selection will take place over a series of heats running through spring and summer.
Assuming you purchase Arena then want to jump into the full universe, the cost of Arena will be deducted from the full cost of Elite: Dangerous.
The game can be picked up here.
Founder and Editor of PC Invasion. Veteran PC gamer of over 22 years.