Almost seven years after its initial release on Steam, Valve’s Alien Swarm has been extended and expanded courtesy of a fan project. Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop is out today on Steam and is, as with the original game, completely free.
For those who haven’t played the original, Alien Swarm: Reactive Drop is a top-down shooter in which chaps with big guns try not to be killed by aliens in spooky industrial environments. If you ever played any of the old Alien Breed games in the 16-bit era, it’s a bit like that. Except now with even more co-op (up to 8 players), and additional challenges.
Reactive Drop adds Steam Workshop support to the game, and brings new campaigns, aliens, guns, and even a PvP deathmatch mode. Here’s a run-down of the expanded features.
- Tactical co-op for up to 8 players with a top-down perspective
- Steam Workshop support for community maps and challenges
- New co-operative campaigns
- Challenges: Modifications of the game, just like Mutations in Left 4 Dead 2
- PvP: Deathmatch, Gun Game, Instagib, and Team Deathmatch
- Singleplayer: Play with improved bots on all our official maps
- New Aliens: HL2 antlion guards and more
- New Weapons: Desert Eagle, Devastator, and Combat Rifle, with more to come
- Over 100 Steam achievements
- Leaderboards: compete with your friends for the fastest mission completion
- Improved spectating: see hacking minigames and mouse movements in real time