“All roads lead to Rome,” as the saying goes. But will all rumors lead to it? Well, that’s another matter. If we’re to believe the recent talks off-the-rumor-mill earlier this month, that seems to be the case. That’s because, according to a leak from 4chan, the next game in the Assassin’s Creed franchise will be titled “Legion.” The title will put you smack dab in the heart of the Roman Empire.
Here’s an extremely blurry screenshot of the rumored Assassin’s Creed: Legion game:
All Rumors Lead To Rome
Roman buildings, temples, and houses are seen in the image. However, do note that the rumors are still unsubstantiated. The post also notes, among other things, that:
- Assassin’s Creed: Legion will be released in 2020. That falls in line with Ubisoft’s announcement that there will be no new game in the franchise this year. Although we are getting Assassin’s Creed III and Liberation remasters.
- The game’s plot will revolve around Marcus Aurelius and Commodus’ reign. If you watched Gladiator, you’ll know that Commodus killed his dad, Marcus Aurelius (known as one of the wisest Roman emperors of all time), in his bid for power. Well, the truth was that the elderly Aurelius died of natural causes, marking Commodus’ ascent as Roman Emperor when he was only 18 years old.
- The plot will also take a look at 193 AD, the so-called “Year of the Five Emperors.” Commodus’ eventual assassination brought about new claimants to the title of Caesar. These five men vied for power with ruthless plots and battles following suit. This led to the rise of Septimius Severus as sole ruler of the Roman Empire.
- You can choose between a male or female protagonist, Cassius or Lucia. Both are descendants of past playable characters in Assassin’s Creed: Origins and Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey.
- Assassin’s Creed: Legion is expected to tie loose ends, concluding the “Ancient Trilogy,” and focusing more on the First Civilization plotline than the two previous games.
- The Italian heartland can be explored, although you might also see Gaul and Germania.
- Cultists and mercenaries will make their return.
Again, there’s little to go by besides this rumor — which also notes that Watch Dogs 3 will release this year and will be set in London, mind you. The part of me that loves and nerds out over history is all for it. However, I can’t help but be skeptical. Marcus Aurelius died in 180 AD. Commodus’ reign as sole emperor lasted until 192 AD. The Year of the Five Emperors, as mentioned, happened in 193 AD. That’s a massive time jump of 13 years that would take place in Assassin’s Creed: Legion. Then again, the previous events might simply be explained in a flashback or prologue.
We’ll definitely find out more in the coming months when Ubisoft provides more details. For now, you can enjoy what Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey has to offer, as well as the upcoming remastered versions of Assassin’s Creed III and Liberation. If all rumors do lead to Rome, then we’ll happily cross that bridge over the Rubicon once we get there.
I’m a small business owner who’s also writing on the side, contributing in various websites under the Enthusiast Gaming umbrella — Destructoid, Flixist, Daily Esports, PlayStation Enthusiast, and PC Invasion.
My Steam library has 1,131 games at the moment so we definitely have a lot of things to talk about.