Starting today, those lousy loot drops in Borderlands 3 are about to get a whole lot more orange. And purple, of course. To celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the franchise, Gearbox is giving players five weeks of increased rare loot drops. The fun begins today with “Boss Week,” where vault hunters can join in on the lootstravaganza by killing bosses for rare drops.
Can you believe it’s been 10 years already since Borderlands hit shelves? I still remember by first bandit thrashing before I gunned across the arid landscape of Pandora. The original game released on October 20, 2009, and has since spawned four games (including Telltale’s efforts). For Borderlands fans, this is a special month.
Gearbox believes so as well, that’s why great loot will come aplenty throughout October in Borderlands 3. “Boss Week” allows you the chance to collect legendary loot drops from 13 of the baddest badasses of Pandora and beyond. Here is the list of bosses and what they might drop (courtesy of Gearbox):
- Mouthpiece has an increased chance to drop Gatling Gun
- KillaVolt has an increased chance to drop Brainstormer
- Gigamind has an increased chance to drop Nagata
- Katagawa Ball has an increased chance to drop Rectifier
- Katagawa has an increased chance to drop Legendary class mods (all Vault Hunters)
- Rampager has an increased chance to drop Kill-o’-the-Wisp
- Warden has an increased chance to drop Echo
- GenIVIV has an increased chance to drop Ten Gallon
- Aurelia has an increased chance to drop Creeping Death
- Graveward has an increased chance to drop Earworm
- Pain and Terror have an increased chance to drop Legendary class mods (all Vault Hunters)
- Troy has an increased chance to drop Nova Berner
- Tyreen has an increased chance to drop Bitch
This is only the beginning
As mentioned, the anniversary celebration lasts five weeks, so you won’t only fight bosses this month. Starting on October 8 is the “Rare Spawn Hunt” week. Following that is “Show Me the Eridium,” starting on October 15. “Mayhem on Twitch” follows, and that begins on October 22. Finally it’s “Spooky Surprises,” which runs from October 29 to November 4.
Details are unknown for most events save for “Boss Week,” but some are obvious. We should see a heavily increased drop chance for Eridium (rare in-game currency) in the third week. Thank Handsome Jack for that, because I need some better anointed gear. The fourth week will likely have players watch a stream on Twitch for a chance at rewards. But the fifth week is a mystery to me. Maybe the bandits will wear jack-o’-lantern masks? That’d be cool.
Check out the official Borderlands Anniversary Celebration announcement page for more information.