Treyarch’s modding and mapping tools for the PC version of Black Ops 3 have moved into open beta today. Previously only available as a closed alpha, the modding tools can now be sampled by all owners of the game.
According to Treyarch, moving to the wider audience of an open beta will enable them to “more effectively address bugs, add polish, and move closer to a complete suite of PC features”. Work will continue across the coming months, with the studio promising to enhance “the user experience and the ability to create modded content”.
The Black Ops 3 modding tools open beta will have an Unranked Server Browser, allowing users who run mods to connect to one another’s custom lobbies. Unranked Dedicated Server files are said to still be in development.
Here’s what Update 15.1 (featuring the mod tools) contains.
- Black Ops 3 Steam Workshop***
- Unranked Server Browser***
- Radiant Level Editor
- APE, Asset Property Editor
- Mod Tools Launcher
- Optional additional assets installation under Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 — Mod Tools’ DLC section. Includes more level building assets from a variety of official Black Ops 3 maps.
- Full example maps of the Mulitplayer map Combine and the Zombies map The Giant
- New Server Settings Menu in Multiplayer Custom Games and Zombies Private Game where you can set how your server will display in the Unranked Server Browser***
- New Mods Menu where you can load and unload your subscribed mods***