Chaos Reborn has hit version 0.28, which apparently was the prophesied time to add single-player and co-op.
There are now single-player quests in the Realms of Chaos, and you can invite a fellow wizard to join you in casting your way through any of these. Those are the big new things, but not the only new things: there are also four more environment types, procedural map generation for realm battles, high score tables for realms, tweaks to matchmaking and equipment, and a number of balance adjustments. Shadow Trees can now be subverted, apparently, which I’m sure will have a titanic impact.
This being v0.28, though, a lot of stuff still needs work. Over the next few weeks, for instance, we can expect improved AI, improvements to the co-op system, more special locations in the realms, and “additional strategic gameplay” in the realms, like territory control, diplomacy, and marauders. Which sounds a bit good to me, if I’m honest with you.
You can see a trailer for this update below, and below that are the full patch notes for Chaos Reborn v02.8.
- Realm quest mode featuring multiple realm quests of varying difficulties.
- Co-op mode for specific battles
- Realm high score tables
- New battle environments implemented for Mana Fluxes, Mountains, Forests, Plains and Palaces. Some of the multiplayer maps are converted to new environment types.
- Procedural battle map generation for realm battles (this may be introduced to multiplayer games at some point).
- Realm high score tables for realms you have completed. See how you did compared to other players.
- Multiplayer league tables are accessible for current and previous season, equipped and classic.
- The matchmaker now allows you to set multiple preferences for game mode and competition type.
- The equipment no longer has a levelling system – all equipment starts at maximum level. Equipment can be traded in for gold, not XP (there is some work needed to tidy up the equipment interfaces still).
- The Fountain of Life no longer resurrects wizards.
- Wizard is no longer engaged when hiding in a magic tree.
- Shadow trees can now be subverted.
- Buffs are now applied to web and bulldoze attack values.
- Wizard level no longer affects the mana value of wizards in battle.
- Manticore movement range is reduced from 4 to 3
- Due to the change in the equipment system we have had to remove all the old staffs and bodygear. You will be compensated with 100 gold for each item lost.