Chaos Reborn has hit version 0.28, which apparently was the prophesied time to add single-player and co-op.
There are now single-player quests in the Realms of Chaos, and you can invite a fellow wizard to join you in casting your way through any of these. Those are the big new things, but not the only new things: there are also four more environment types, procedural map generation for realm battles, high score tables for realms, tweaks to matchmaking and equipment, and a number of balance adjustments. Shadow Trees can now be subverted, apparently, which I’m sure will have a titanic impact.
This being v0.28, though, a lot of stuff still needs work. Over the next few weeks, for instance, we can expect improved AI, improvements to the co-op system, more special locations in the realms, and “additional strategic gameplay” in the realms, like territory control, diplomacy, and marauders. Which sounds a bit good to me, if I’m honest with you.
You can see a trailer for this update below, and below that are the full patch notes for Chaos Reborn v02.8.
- Realm quest mode featuring multiple realm quests of varying difficulties.
- Co-op mode for specific battles
- Realm high score tables
- New battle environments implemented for Mana Fluxes, Mountains, Forests, Plains and Palaces. Some of the multiplayer maps are converted to new environment types.
- Procedural battle map generation for realm battles (this may be introduced to multiplayer games at some point).
- Realm high score tables for realms you have completed. See how you did compared to other players.
- Multiplayer league tables are accessible for current and previous season, equipped and classic.
- The matchmaker now allows you to set multiple preferences for game mode and competition type.
- The equipment no longer has a levelling system – all equipment starts at maximum level. Equipment can be traded in for gold, not XP (there is some work needed to tidy up the equipment interfaces still).
- The Fountain of Life no longer resurrects wizards.
- Wizard is no longer engaged when hiding in a magic tree.
- Shadow trees can now be subverted.
- Buffs are now applied to web and bulldoze attack values.
- Wizard level no longer affects the mana value of wizards in battle.
- Manticore movement range is reduced from 4 to 3
- Due to the change in the equipment system we have had to remove all the old staffs and bodygear. You will be compensated with 100 gold for each item lost.
Tim has been playing PC games for longer than he’s willing to admit. He’s written for a number of publications, but has been with PC Invasion – in all its various incarnations – for over a decade. When not writing about games, Tim can occasionally be found speedrunning terrible ones, making people angry in Dota 2, or playing something obscure and random. He’s also weirdly proud of his status as (probably) the Isle of Man’s only professional games journalist.