The Ruinous Effigy is an exotic trace rifle that’s part of Destiny 2: Season of Arrivals. You can obtain it via the “Missive” quest chain, though it’s not available yet. However, we do have datamined information courtesy of Light.gg. We’ll update this guide once the Ruinous Effigy is made available just in case the quest steps are changed. You can also take a look at all 50 Savathun’s Eye locations for the Ruinous Effigy’s catalyst.
Note: For more information about the other activities and content for this season, check out our Destiny 2: Season of Arrivals guides and features hub.
Destiny 2: Season of Arrivals – Ruinous Effigy exotic and the “Missive” quest guide
Again, all of the information has been datamined via Light.gg, but these might change in due course once the Ruinous Effigy exotic quest (“Missive”) goes live. In any case, here are the quest steps:
1. Missive: Visit the Prismatic Recaster in the Tower Annex – This is normally what you do each weekly reset anyway, so go ahead and get this part done.
2. Gift: Complete the Interference mission on Io – This mission changes each week and rewards pinnacle gear. It’s not yet known if there will be drastic changes to the “Means to an End” quest chain for this mission.
- Collect 25x Calcified Fragments on Io, Mars, and Titan using your Ghost’s scanner – It’s not yet known where these will be found on the map.
- Defeat 15x Savathun’s Marionettes on Io and Titan – These are the yellow bar/elite enemies that spawn alongside Contact public event bosses. Make sure to kill them first before the boss, otherwise, they’ll despawn.
- Defeat 100x targets using the Void element.
- Get 25x precision multi-kills – You should be able to do this easily enough in solo areas like The Whisper mission or the entrance cavern of the Prophecy dungeon. Alternatively, just do an Escalation Protocol and pray that blueberries don’t steal your headshot kills.
- Complete Gambit or Reckoning activities – There are 18 points needed to progress, but higher tiers of Reckoning, defeating invaders, and kills as an invader provide additional progress. It might be better to just do Gambit Prime, use Truth or Xenophage, and go to town on hapless randoms.
5. Shape – Decrypt the item via the Umbral Decoder.
Ruinous Effigy exotic perks
So, what exactly are we looking at when it comes to this new Destiny 2: Season of Arrivals exotic trace rifle? Well, the Ruinous Effigy has two known unique perks according to dataminer Ffom:
- Transmutation – Kills with this weapon collapse victims into void transmutation spheres.
- Evolution – Transmutation spheres you create can be picked up and wielded as weapons by your or allies. You can use light and heavy attacks, as well as guard and drain nearby hostiles.
It seems a little gimmicky, at first, but we’ll soon find out if it’s a worthwhile weapon to use. Likewise, it’s yet to be revealed just how we’d be able to destroy Savathun’s Eyes for the Ruinous Effigy’s catalyst. Can they be shattered via normal shots? Or do Guardians need to use the transmuted orbs to attack them? We’ll keep you posted once the Ruinous Effigy and the “Missive” exotic quest chain go live in Destiny 2: Season of Arrivals.