Pit of Heresy Boss Fight: Zulmak, the Instrument of Torment
Zulmak is the final boss in the Pit of Heresy dungeon. He’s also no pushover because you’ll need to rely on every mechanic you’ve learned throughout your progress. He remains immune once the fight starts and the only way to remove his immunity is by dunking orbs inside the three receptacles around him and the large crystal in the center of the room. In order to do that, well, let’s get more detailed.
Step 1: Kill the sword knights so you can pick up their relics.
Step 2: There are three rooms off to the side. Each one will have a corresponding miniboss. Remember the Pit of Heresy’s first encounter?
- The knight can only be damaged by light attacks.
- The wizard can only be damaged by heavy attacks/sword projectiles.
- Lastly, the shrieker takes damage if you block and reflect its shots.
Step 3: Each miniboss that dies will drop an orb. Dunk these orbs in the receptacles surrounding the middle area where Zulmak is. Once you’ve dunked all three orbs, the DPS phase begins.
Note: If in case you run out of sword ammo, there are still additional Hive knights that’ll spawn so you can pick up their relics again.
Zulmak – The DPS phase
Zulmak’s DPS phase is fairly manageable, but there are loads of mobs that’ll start spawning. What you need to do is stand in the middle area (near the crystal) to gain a buff. This will allow you to damage the boss. If you’re not in the middle area and you don’t have the buff, the boss will be immune to your shots.
- Keep wailing away at him with all you got. You have around 30 seconds to continuously do damage.
- Be sure to take out the cursed thrall that’ll make a dash for you.
- Izanagi’s Burden is your best bet along with grenade launchers like Love and Death, Wendigo, or Swarm of the Raven.
- Titans should run melting point with Peregrine Greaves or bubble with Helm of Saint-14.
- Warlocks should go with a well of radiance and Lunafaction Boots.
- Lastly, Hunters can go with tether plus Orpheus Rig or golden gun with Celestial Nighthawk.
Eventually, you’ll be notified that dark energy is surrounding the crystal. Zulmak also starts kneeling down. Don’t think that it’s time to rush up to him. Instead, run away from the middle area immediately. A massive explosion will occur in the middle area and, if you’re caught, you’d end up dead.
Once the DPS phase is done, simply redo the same steps as before until Zulmak is dead. The Zulmak boss fight is the only encounter in the Pit of Heresy that awards pinnacle gear. That can be quite disappointing, but there’s a silver lining. There’s a good chance you’ll get fully masterworked drops. The drops can also have extremely high stats.
There you have it. That’s our Pit of Heresy dungeon guide for Destiny 2: Shadowkeep. We hope this helps you out in your progress.