As indicated by Eidos Montreal the other day, today has seen the release of DirectX 12 support for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. It comes as part of Patch 5, which continues to make fixes and changes to the game.
If you’re on Windows 10 and want to see whether DirectX 12 will further cybernetically enhance Adam Jensen’s adventures, you need to opt-in to a separate Steam branch. To do that, right-click on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided in the Steam library, select Properties, navigate to the Betas tab and choose the DX12 branch from the drop-down menu. That should stop DirectX 12 being greyed out in the launcher window, and allow you to select it in-game as well (you’ll need to restart to apply it if you do it on the fly).
Nixxes say their ‘final’ DX12 release will be on 19 September and include both feedback from people who’ve tried out the alternative API and support for multi-GPU set-ups (not currently present). If you want to ditch the DX12 branch, just follow the same steps above but deselect it from the drop-down.
If you’re using an AMD card and a CPU that’s towards the weaker end, you’ll probably see small FPS boosts with DX12. At this stage, improvements for other set-ups may be pretty minimal.
Here are the DX12 notes, followed by the regular patch notes.
- WARNING: Using the DirectX 12 API can offer better performance on some systems, however, it will not be beneficial on all.
- Multi-GPU is not yet supported in this patch.
- If you encounter problems with DirectX 12, we recommend turning it off again. There are no visual or gameplay differences between the two DirectX versions.
- As always, make sure that your drivers are up to date:
DX12-supporting driver for AMD graphics cards: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16-9-1-Release-Notes.aspx
DX12-supporting driver for NVIDIA graphics cards: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/107012/en-us
Known DirectX 12 issue:
– There is a known bug that causes some very high end cards to regress relative to DirectX 11. This bug is being addressed by the development team.
Patch 5 – Build 545.4
- Fixed a freeze that happened for some players during the subway loading scene.
- Fix for issue where massive stalls would occur in Prague.
- Fixed issue where players could no longer save when they ran out of Steam Cloud space. (When the player runs out of space, the oldest saves will now be removed from the Steam Cloud. They will NOT be deleted and are still available from disk. They will remain present in your in-game ‘load game’ list.)
- Improved shadow behaviour in the distance when Contact Hardening Shadows is turned on.
- Fixed issue where tutorial messages could stay/re-appear on-screen after completing the tutorial.
- Fixed an issue where players could lose input control when hacking certain computers.
- Fixed various UI issues.