There are two branches near the end of The Devil in Me‘s campaign. One, in particular, has specific requirements in order to reach it. Here’s our The Devil in Me guide to help you unlock the Ultimatum alternate finale.
Note: For more information, check out our The Devil in Me guides and features hub. Likewise, please be reminded that this guide contains spoilers.
The Devil in Me Ultimatum alternate finale guide
The Ultimatum alternate finale in The Devil in Me is far from the ideal path, at least compared to the Lake finale. This particular branch requires a lot of unfortunate mishaps, eventually leading to the bad and worst endings.
The key factor to get the Ultimatum alternate finale in The Devil in Me is to ensure that Erin, Charlie, and Jamie died earlier in the game, well before you reach the Lighthouse chapter. That means only Kate and Mark remain. You can refer to our fastest/earliest kills guide if you need help eliminating our heroes.
Here are the remaining steps:
- Since Kate has to stay alive, that means Jamie has to get squished in the Glass Trap. Kate will remain a protected character until the finale.
- Progress through the lighthouse normally until Mark gets attacked and you gain control of Kate.
- Instead of investigating the door, make a fateful choice to help Mark. Unbeknownst to Kate, it’s actually Du’Met in disguise. This will net you the “Award Worthy” achievement.
- The two will end up getting captured by the serial killer.
Ultimatum chapter: Choices and deaths
The next section is filled with dialogue options and cutscenes. Du’Met has Kate strapped to a bed, and acid is about to course through her veins. Mark, meanwhile, is caged inside a small room which seems to have poison gas. You’ll then watch Morello, the book author, who admits that he’s not the owner of the property. He was just coerced so he could save his daughter. Now, Du’Met wants Mark to call the next batch of tourists who’ll visit the island.
You’ve got a couple of moral choices to make. First, you can defy Du’Met and act in a hostile manner. Alternatively, you can pretend to go along with his scheme, then warn the other person on the line. The serial killer will get pissed off, leading to Mark’s and Kate’s brutal deaths.
Conversely, you can agree to Du’Met’s proposal, netting you “The Cycle Continues” achievement:
- The next scenes show Mark inviting the new guests, pretending to be the Murder Castle’s eccentric host. You’ll also see that the couple have a daughter (someone who uses the same character as Mary/Megan from Little Hope). You just sent the entire family to their doom.
- Later on, Mark and Kate attempt to escape using the ferry. Sadly, there’s really no way to leave, and the vehicle starts to change direction. In the distance, they see Du’Met holding a rifle. Two shots ring out as the screen fades to black, implying that the two have been shot and killed.
The Dark Pictures Anthology: The Devil in Me is available via Steam.