Astel Naturalborn of the Void is a secret boss in Elden Ring. You can fight it once you’ve gotten past the debilitating effects of the Lake of Rot, whereupon you’ll see a coffin at the edge of a cliff. Interacting with it causes your character to climb in, bringing you to a separate location. Here’s our Elden Ring Astel Naturalborn of the Void guide to help you defeat this secret boss in the Lake of Rot.
Note: For more information, check out our Elden Ring guides and features hub.
Elden Ring guide – How to beat Astel Naturalborn of the Void (secret boss)
Think of the Astel Naturalborn of the Void boss in Elden Ring as a combination of Rykard Lord of Blasphemy and Starscourge Radahn due to its attacks. This scorpion from the stars, reminiscent of the Rockslinger Demons that you’ve fought, has some deadly abilities, though a lot can be telegraphed. Moreover, please be reminded that I did this battle purely from a ranged combat standpoint.
Elden Ring Astel Naturalborn of the Void boss fight – Phase 1
Astel Naturalborn of the Void has the following abilities:
- Tail Strike – When it raises the rear of its body, it will go for a strike that reaches the full length of the arena, so make sure to avoid this. It will follow up with a second strike that will miss as long as you’re already further away from it.
- Void Beam – This is similar to Radahn’s laser blast. As usual, roll as it’s about to hit you so you don’t get damaged. Sometimes, it might also miss, hitting the ground if you roll as it’s shooting.
- Void Swipe – It creates several circular explosions around its arm, but I’ve never gotten hit by this since I’m sniping it from a distance.
- Teleport Lunge – This is one move that you need to watch out for. When Astel creates a large black hole where it’s standing, it means it’ll teleport. Sometimes, it’ll reappear in the same location. But, chances are, it’ll also spawn next to you. This is followed by a lunge attack where it’ll bite you several times. You’ll want to predict its movement, then roll just as it’s lunging so you don’t get grabbed. After this sequence, it’ll reappear back at its previous position.
Elden Ring Astel Naturalborn of the Void boss fight – Phase 2
Astel gains another deadly ability at phase 2/below 50% HP. I just call it the Meteor Shower. Basically, multiple rocks will appear in the skies above the boss, hurtling down on your location in sequence. It’s akin to what Rykard does at phase 2, except it’s more manageable due to how it affects your character.
You can try either of these:
- Blocking – Make sure you’ve got a full bar. At least three meteors will hit you, eating through your stamina and part of your HP.
- Dodging – Dodge just as the meteors are flying to your location. You will get hit by at least one of them. But, this animation will also prevent the rest from hitting you. One meteor impact is enough to take out 60% of your HP (I had roughly 1,500 at the time). As such, it’s all a matter of rolling, getting hit, healing, then shooting the boss again.
Make sure that each shot counts before it casts the Meteor Shower once more. You should be able to survive this battle of attrition soon enough.
Defeating Astel Naturalborn of the Void in Elden Ring nets you the Remembrance of the Naturalborn. Bring this to Enia in Roundtable Hold to exchange for either of these:
- Ash of War: Waves of Darkness – A weapon skill that can be applied on greataxes, warhammers, and colossal weapons.
- Bastard’s Stars (flail) – Requires STR 8, DEX 22, and INT 22; scales with STR E, DEX D, and INT C.
One more thing: the pathway beyond the boss will be blocked. However, if you’ve already acquired the Dark Moon Ring from Rennala’s treasure chest in Raya Lucaria, then you’ll be able to pass through. This leads to, you guessed it, another secret area called the Moonlight Altar.