Nine of the top ten grossing games of this generation published by either Nintendo or Activision.
Numbers released by the NPD Group have revealed this generation top grossing games in terms of total revenue earned. The figures are purely based on sales revenue and do not take into account volume sold. Of course, this means expensive games (such as those that come bundled with peripherals) have a big advantage – hence Guitar Hero III’s place at the top of the pack, despite Black Ops’ shifting more units.
Unsurprisingly, the Call of Duty franchise is present on three occasions, thanks to strong sales from COD4: Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2 and, most recently, Black Ops.
The only game in the top ten not published by either Nintendo or Activision is the original Rock Band, published by MTV Games.
Full top ten:
1. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Activision)
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision)
3. Wii Fit (Nintendo)
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision)
5. Rock Band (MTV Games)
6. Wii Play (Nintendo)
7. Guitar Hero: World Tour (Activision)
8. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo)
9. Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
10. Call of Duty 4: Mordern Warfare (Activision)