If you were not aware, the much-beloved Left 4 Dead 2 will be getting itself some brand new content. Valve’s zombie shooter extraordinaire will see a substantial, fan-made update called Left 4 Dead 2: The Last Stand. Supported by Valve, this new update will be released as an official one for the game. While details were previously hazy on what to expect, we now have a very good idea of what to expect this coming September 24.
Thanks to the new trailer for Left 4 Dead 2: The Last Stand, we know that there will be more than 20 new Survival mode maps. Animations have been updated, voicelines restored, new melee weapons and two new mutations added. Players can also aim for 30 new achievements. The general stability of the multiplayer shooter will also be improved thanks to “a plethora of bug and exploit fixes.”
Deep in the trenches
Developer JAiZ also took to YouTube to share more juicy details:
- The Last Stand campaign – The survivors decide to take an alternate path in hopes of salvation, but is this path truly safe?
- 30 brand new achievements – New and unique milestones to strive for!
- 26 new survival maps – How long can you survive against the endless hordes?
- 4 new scavenge maps – Wait, people still play scavenge?
- 2 brand new melee weapons – Hunt down a Jockey with the pitchfork or whack it with the shovel. Satisfaction guaranteed!
- L4D1 infected – The L4D1 infected are back, and they’re bloodier than ever!
- New and previously unused voicelines for survivors – Rochelle has a personality now!
- New character animations – New, improved and overhauled animations by our skilled modding team!
- Reworked gun models and animations – The guns now behave more like real guns!
- PvP enhancements and balance changes – New attack spots, new tank spawns, and hundreds of new infected ladders for the competitive modes!
- Official implementation of CSS weapons – The CSS weapons are now available to everyone!
- Brand new mutations Rocketdude and Tank Run – Ever wanted to launch yourself around with a grenade launcher, or run away from hordes of tanks? We’ve got you covered.
- Improved UI options – Singleplayer option for more gamemodes, Versus Survival is officially brought to the main menu, easier gamemode switching, and new outro stats!
- Hundreds of bug and exploit fixes – The days of falling through elevators are gone!
The Left 4 Dead 2: The Last Stand update is being worked on by a community team of more than 30 people. Together with Valve, it has been about a year of development. The best part of it all is that it will be a free update. You can dive into the extensive patch notes over on the Left 4 Dead Nation Discord server.