Marvel’s Midnight Suns has a dozen or so characters that will join the Hunter, the player’s character, in escapades. It’s important that you buddy up with them not just to improve relations, but also to obtain boosts and cosmetic items. Here’s our Marvel’s Midnight Suns guide to help you increase your hero Friendship XP and level via Hangout activities, conversations, and more.
Note: For more information, check out our Marvel’s Midnight Suns guides and features hub.
Marvel’s Midnight Suns guide – How to increase hero Friendship XP and Friendship level
There are several ways to increase your hero Friendship level in Marvel’s Midnight Suns. This is denoted by red circle with a heart next to a character’s name. The quickest way to do this is by bringing them in missions (+2 Friendship XP). It’s implied that the bonds of the heroes are strengthened as they learn to fight alongside one another.
From time to time, you’ll engage in conversations with other characters. Some of these options (usually the “nice and friendly” types) will boost your relationship with them. Do take note, however, that some might have an adverse effect in case you’re strictly following the Hunter’s Light or Dark alignment. For instance, a Light alignment response might cause the Friendship XP to go down because that character isn’t impressed by your goody-two-shoes attitude.
During the day, you’ve got a chance to pick a sparring partner in the Abbey’s Training Yard. Apart from the Friendship XP, the hero you chose will have a buff if you bring them in your next mission.
Another method to increase hero Friendship level in Marvel’s Midnight Suns is through Hangouts. These tend to appear in the Abbey when it’s nighttime (i.e., after finishing a mission). Characters with a Hangout available tend to lounge around in the living room, and you’ll be able to select an option. This, too, has additional conversations that will increase or decrease the bond XP.
Note: You can learn more in our best Hangouts guide.
As you explore the Abbey’s outskirts, you’ll stumble upon areas with a bluish glow. These are known as Havens. They are special locations that let you invite a hero, significantly increasing any Friendship XP that’s earned during the activity. Be forewarned, however, that each hero can only attend a single Haven throughout the course of the campaign.
Note: You can learn more in our Havens guide.
Team Friendship Levels, Gifts, and Compliments
When you increase your individual bonds with each hero, you’ll also increase your Team Friendship Level. This will unlock a couple of functions:
- Gift Shop – A shelf will appear between the Yard and the Forge. You can purchase gifts here, and you can give them to your companions during a Hangout or Haven activity. Ideally, you’ll want to offer only the best gifts for each hero to maximize the gains.
- Compliments – Likewise, you may be able to give a compliment to a teammate. If the action is possible, you’ll see the button prompt when a character is in front of you. While you can do this a couple of times for the same hero, there are diminishing returns.
Note: You can learn more in our best/favorite gifts guide.
Legendaries, Team Combos, Passives, and Prestige
Aside from cosmetic outfits, improving your Friendship level in Marvel’s Midnight Suns also helps in unlock their full potential:
- Passive boosts – Each hero has a particular passive that becomes more effective the higher the Friendship level. For instance, Captain Marvel has a chance to get the “Counter” perk whenever an enemy is KO’d, and Nico can draw more abilities to your hand whenever her cards are played.
- Hero Combos – When you increase your Friendship Level with each individual teammate, you’ll obtain a Hero Combo Card. It allows your characters to buddy up and take down a single target. You can learn more in our Hero Combo Cards guide.
- Midnight Suns Challenge – Once you’ve reached rank 5 with a hero, their Midnight Suns Challenge becomes available in the Armory. Completing this nets you their Legendary ability, as well as a Legendary combat outfit. You can learn more in our Legendary Challenges guide.
- Prestige – Reaching Friendship Level 5 isn’t the end, though, since you can still continue earning Friendship XP for that hero. From this point onwards, you’ll level their Prestige rank every 10 points. At best, you’ll still receive additional rewards like color schemes for their attires.
- One last teammate – There’s one particular character that joins your roster very late in the game. We won’t spoil it here, but that person does not use the Friendship mechanic at all.
Marvel’s Midnight Suns is available via Steam.