Blizzard has just launched their Overwatch Top 500 system which will effectively tell the top 500 Season 1 players they are super.
As Blizard pushed forward with the competitive side of Overwatch, players who have performed particularly well will now get a shiny icon to show they have made the top 500 ranking.
These are also broken down by region and platform. Leaderboards will be wiped at the end of a Season to keep players coming back for more and get back into the top 500. Oh, and there’s special icon.
All the details have now been posted by Blizzard.
- Anyone who manages to break into the Top 500 players in their region will now receive an in-game notification. A special icon will also display next their BattleTag, Gamer Tag, or PSN ID in the game UI.
- Each platform will have its very own leaderboard, and those are further broken up by region. So, the Top 500 PC players in the Americas will be different from PC players in Asia, Europe, and China. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One platforms are broken down in the same way.
- Every season, the leaderboards will be reset, including the Top 500. Once this happens, previous performance records will have no effect on rank, so players will have to work their way back into the Top 500.
- At the end of each season, anyone who has made it into our official Top 500 (once it’s been activated) will receive an animated spray. We understand that player ranks will be shuffled throughout the season, so we’re not asking players to hold the Top 500 spot for any length of time.
- To qualify for Top 500, players will need to have a Skill Rating above 60.
We’re excited about this new feature and how it will continue to evolve. In the future, we’re planning to improve on the system, adding a graphical leaderboard that will include the names and ranks of our Top 500 players. So, keep your eyes open, and thanks for playing Overwatch!
Founder and Editor of PC Invasion. Veteran PC gamer of over 22 years.