A celebratory post on Reddit from Hi-Rez Studios’ Todd Harris outlines what the development team have in store for Paladins over the next few months. He also reflects on the last eight months (since the game left Early Access), noting that it now has 11 million registered players and was the “top new game of 2016 in terms of overall playtime” on Steam.
Looking forwards, Paladins will continue to get new Champions at a pretty rapid rate. Their plan is to be at 30 by August (keeping up the pace of two for every three patches), then slowing down a little and sticking to one per month through to the conclusion of 2017. Harris also says there will be “at least one” new PvP mode coming in the next few months.
He lists bug fixes, an introduction of a Mastery system, and mentions an improved Ranked mode. Here’s the full summary of what to look forward to.
Related to this article
– Mastery System / Mastery Rewards of various types
– Ranked 2.0, based more on Account vs Champion. We’ve heard your feedback and agree that the current Ranked Mode needs to be improved.
– Quality of Life / bug fixes. We realize things like Androxus’ Reversal bug and Fernando Shield bug are rage inducing. We addressed a few in .50 and will continue to pay attention to these gameplay & polish items
– New Champs. We are excited about the next set of new Champions and will continue to release 2 champs every 3 patches until we get to a total of 30 Champions around August. We feel that a large champion roster, combined with upcoming ability to Ban in draft picking, is healthy for our competitive game. After 30 Champs we slow down just a little; but for us slowing down still means a new Champion approximately once a month from August until the end of 2017.
– At least one new PvP Game Mode for your testing & feedback
– Getting updates out more quickly to both the Xbox One and PS4!
This is dependent on platform providers and their certification timelines. But our goal is to get down to only ONE WEEK between PC updates and that same update going live on XBox One and Playstation 4.
– LORE! ‘Cause Lore
– Legendaries. Some of them aren’t great and need help.
– Big Esports Investment and Announcements.
The upcoming July Dreamhack Valencia event (100K PC, 50K Console Wars) is just the beginning. We’ve been pleased to see a global appetite to play competitive Paladins and we will be supporting that in a huge way. More details to be announced during the Dreamhack Valencia esports broadcast.
– Re-introduction of new PvE/Co-op mode; but this will be after all the above