After nearly a month since the start of the open beta, Phantasy Star Online 2 is now available. Well, it’s available on Xbox One at the moment, but Sega revealed when it’s coming our way to PC. PSO 2 will hit PCs (with Windows 10) late May, the publisher announced. However, barring any major changes between now and then, it will be exclusive to the Microsoft Store.
PSO 2 heading to the Microsoft Store was a given. After eight years since its launch in Japan, it was announced on the Xbox stage at E3 2019 that the game was finally heading to western shores. At the time, we knew it was going to be an Xbox One and PC game. Microsoft would certainly bring it to its own store. However, a Steam release would have been more than welcome.
Back in February, internet sleuths believed to have discovered evidence that PSO 2 was also heading Steam. The evidence came from the game’s online manual, which included instructions on how to download it on Steam. Those expectations have been dashed — for now, at least.
Come what May
That’s not to say that it will make the Microsoft Store its home for very long. After all, the publisher has brought, and is bringing, exclusives over to Steam, albeit slowly. Gears 5 has been available on Steam since late last year. And both Gears Tactics and Sea of Thieves are on their way to Valve’s storefront.
It’s highly likely that PSO 2 will start its adventures on the Microsoft Store before venturing to other waters. And since your progress is shared between PC and Xbox One, chances are good you won’t lose any of your characters in the move.
The move, though, will not happen for some time. If you plan on starting on the Xbox One, Sega has prepared a menagerie of goods and special events to celebrate its release eight years in the making. Starting today and until April 23, you will be given a login bonus of a Half Scape Doll, which sacrifices itself on your demise to bring you back to life. There are also bonuses for joining an alliance with at least four members, as well as two urgent quests to tackle. Oh! But more important, the digital diva, Quna, will have a live concert during the weekend.
PSO 2 launch celebration goods (from the official release):
- Every day between April 15-23, ARKS Operatives will receive a special log-in bonus when they report for duty! The Half Scape Doll is able to sacrifice itself to revive players automatically if they become incapacitated on the battlefield – a real boost when fighting the Falspawn.
- ARKS who join an Alliance with at least four members before April 28 will receive a SG20 Ticket (x1). And members of Alliances that have earned at least 5,000 Alliance Points before April 28 will receive the collectable emote #269: Impromptu Tea Party
- Two new Urgent Quests: “The Cunning Black Winged Vanguard” & “The False Champion: Luther the Fallen” begin this week.
- PSO 2 Diva, Quna, returns for live concerts on Saturdays and Sundays
- The Cherry Blossom season is coming to Phantasy Star Online 2 with a new look to the renowned Franca’s Café! Certain ARKS Ship lobbies will also change their appearances periodically.
- PSO 2 is one of the first games to be included in Microsoft’s new Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Perks program! All PSO 2 players with an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription will receive extra special goodies after their first log in, including an Xbox jacket and Xbox Controller accessory for their character to show off in-game. Additional Perks will be made available every month, such as bonus Half Scape Dolls and more.
- The ever-expanding catalog of outfits and accessories to collect and mix-and-match continues to grow with the introduction of the Heroic Wanderer AC Scratch Ticket.
To reiterate: if you have an Xbox One but still plan on playing on PC, all the progress made until its May release will follow along. For more on the game, head to the official page.