Risk of Rain 2 received its “Hidden Realms” update today on Steam Early Access, following “Skills 2.0” and “Scorched Acres.” In addition to a new survivor, the update brings two new hidden realms, more enemies, a few community-suggested changes, alternatives layouts, and, of course, more loot. The update is available now on Steam Early Access for free. Other platforms will have to wait a while longer.
You can watch the announcement trailer below.
The new survivor, Acrid, is a returning member from the original Risk of Rain. Featured in the trailer above, Acrid focuses on melee and ranged combat with the ability to deal damage over time. Instead of impacting foes immensely with each swing, Acrid slowly drains health as status debuffs start to build up. Acrid is an unlockable character, so you may have to do some work to find it. Make sure to read our guide on unlocking all of Risk of Rain 2‘s characters.
Here are Acrid’s attacks and abilities:
- Passive: Poison – Certain attacks apply poison, dealing damage over time but cannot kill.
- Primary Fire: Vicious Wounds – Maul an enemy, where every third hit does double damage.
- Secondary Fire: Neurotoxin – Spit toxic bile at a range that damages and poisons enemies.
- Utility: Caustic Leap – Leap into the air, dealing damage, stunning, and poisoning enemies on impact. Leaves a pool of acid that deals damage.
- Special: Epidemic – Release a deadly poison that deals damage and poisons enemies. The disease continually spreads to up to 20 target.
Acrid isn’t the only addition in Risk of Rain 2 “Hidden Realms” update. Here are the other features being rolled out:
- New Bosses and Monster – The Scavenger boss, Void Reaver monster, and an additional secret boss join the fight.
- New Hidden Realms – Two new hidden realms can be discovered.
- Alternative Layouts – The new Alternate Layouts system allows for some maps to have entirely new layouts, starting with Titanic Plains and Distant Roost.
- New Items, Equipment, Lunars and more – An arsenal of new items and equipment is now at players’ disposal. This includes two new Lunar items, Adaptive Chests, Overgrown 3D Printer, seven new items, and a new type of equipment called the Jade Elephant.
- Community Suggested Changes – Quality-of-life improvements suggested by the community have been implemented.
You can view the full patch notes on Risk of Rain 2‘s Steam page, which also includes the new items added and the names of the bosses. Mentioned in the update but not the press release is the addition of a dedicated server tool. Although still in alpha, players can now host their own servers, fit with the rules and restrictions they want. You can also find out how to host your own server.