After weeks of tinkering around with optimising State of Decay for mouse and keyboard controls Undead Labs has pushed a patch on to Steam.
The new patch adds proper keyboard and mouse control to the zombie survival title with major improvements to the game interface along with bug fixes. If you’ve been using a controller in the previous version, you can easily switch to the keyboard and mouse on the fly should you prefer the controller method.
Other notable better mouse aiming and the Leaderboards should now show correct data. The full patch notes are below along with some shots of the new interface with pointers on how it functions with the keyboard and mouse.
First pass mouse and keyboard UI interactions
- Keyboard mapping is the same. Primary difference is that you can now use the mouse to click on any elements you would have WASD’d and Spacebar or used the buttons for before. In practice, this means that you can control all UI except for containers using only the mouse. Container UI coming in the next patch.
Here is a personal note from Chris, one of the programmers working on the interface:
One of the nice things of the current setup is that you could swap between controller and mouse/keyboard on the fly – we chose to feature that.
To leverage existing resources to get results as fast as possible, we mapped mouse controls onto the UI we have today.
From there, we’re going to pick off and attack the areas that could use mouse specific love and iterate. As such, this model is considered a rough first pass – we’re already hard at work on the next revision – using hover more to streamline, for example. Once we land on keybinding and approach – we’ll swap the buttons for their appropriate icons.
We’d love feedback!
For more information, please see the slideshow located here:https://undeadlabs.com/2013/10/news/patch-for-steam-first-pass-at-interface-making-mouse-awesome/
- We had an option for 16:9 and 4:3; now an option for 16:10, 16:9, and 4:3
Support for more popular monitor resolution as per steam hardware survey
- Changed them to the most popular on steam hardware survey. There is no longer 2160p.
- Fixed a bug causing a player to lose their ammo on mg’s with 100 round capacity.
- First pass on some UI alignment
- Sound volume balancing across the game
- Retuned loot distribution when starting a new game.
- Fixed an issue with the Leaderboards showing incorrect data
- Aligned aiming reticle UI
- Fixed an issue where mouse calls were being dropped
- Better mouse aiming
- Addressed an issue that could occur with some SLI enabled machines
Display settings – Currently there is no way to preview the setting options without committing on selection change.
Gameplay – Still no binding to change firemodes on weapons where it should be available. Must use controller
Cycle Items: Mousewheel (need alt for no wheel — suggestion below)
Use Current Item: F
Reload Gun: R
Melee Attack: LMB
Aim Gun: RMB
Shoot Gun: LMB
Camera: Mouse (not working)
Emergency Brake: Space
Door Attack: LMB
Get Out: E
Open Pause Menu: Esc
Open Journal: Tab
Open Radio: LAlt
Open World Map: M
Zoom: Mousewheel (need alt for no wheel)
Place Waypoint: LMB
UI Navigate: WASD
UI Select/Accept: Space
UI Back/Cancel: Esc
And for the UI:
A = space
B = escape
X = q
Y = e
rb = tab
lb = shift+tab
move = wasd
scroll = wheel