After defeating the Elder, you’ll have obtained the Swamp Key. This gives you access to the Sunken Crypts, dungeons found in Valheim‘s Swamp biome. These locations are where you’d find lots of iron. Here’s our guide to help you out.
Note: Valheim is currently an Early Access title. As such, mechanics and content may change in due course. For more information, check out our Valheim guides and features hub.
Valheim: Farming iron scraps in the Sunken Crypts
Unlike the Burial Chambers in the Black Forest, the Sunken Crypts of Valheim‘s Swamp biome are easy enough to spot.
These ominous-looking structures have two green flames at their entrances and all you need to do is use the Swamp Key to open them.
Inside, you’ll find many passageways covered in something called Muddy Scrap Piles. These can be broken down using the Antler Pickaxe (which you crafted from Eikthyr’s remains), and they can drop the following:
- Leather Scraps – These are used for armor pieces.
- Iron Scraps – These are smelted into iron bars.
- Withered Bones – These are materials for the sacrificial altar to Bonemass, the Swamp biome’s boss. You need 10 of these to summon that particular foe.
Anyway, there are several Sunken Crypts in the region, and they’re often filled with enemies like draugr and ooze. Make sure to explore Sunken Crypts thoroughly. It’s possible that blocked passageways actually lead to new rooms with chests, gems, or coins for Haldor.
Given that you’re smacking everyone around with a pickaxe, it’s important to have a Workbench outside a dungeon in case you need to repair it. Speaking of stuff you need outside, you might want the following, too:
- A portal that can let you return to your base quickly.
- A cart or karve which you can use to transport your items. Bear in mind that ores are heavy, so they can’t be brought along with you through a portal.
- Chop down some of the trees to gain ancient bark, a material used to make a longship.
Note 1: You can also find leeches in the murky waters of the region. They drop bloodbags used to make healing and frost resistance meads.
Note 2: Likewise, Surtlings can be found near fire geysers (seen below). You’ll need Surtling Cores for portals and wards, as well as the smelter and charcoal kiln.
Assuming you already have a lot of iron scraps, find a way to transport them back to your base. Alternatively, construct a makeshift base in the Swamps.
You’ll need to smelt iron scraps into iron bars, then forge a weapon called the Iron Mace. This will be your top choice when you face Bonemass. Lastly, don’t forget to make several poison resistance meads too.