A Study in Potions is an event that’s part of Genshin Impact‘s version 2.4 update. You can start it by talking to Timaeus, the alchemist in Mondstadt. From there, you’ll talk to various NPCs in Liyue Harbor before Timaeus asks the perfume maker, Ying’er, for assistance. Here’s our Genshin Impact A Study in Potions guide to help you with the event mechanics and rewards.
Note: For more information about the game, check out our Genshin Impact guides and features hub.
Genshin Impact A Study in Potions guide
After talking to Ying’er, Timaeus will tell you about a new domain in Liyue. Inside, you’ll notice four separate challenges or stages for Genshin Impact‘s A Study in Potions event:
- Each challenge has its own select mobs that you need to defeat within a time limit.
- There’s a drop-down menu that lets you increase the difficulty to earn a score multiplier. If you can defeat all opponents within 140 seconds and earn more than 2,500 points, you’ll receive the gold rating for that challenge.
- For each challenge that you complete, the remaining ones will have their mob levels increased.
- Ley Line Disorder: Nucleus – This effect is active throughout all challenges/stages. Elemental bursts give one Nucleus stack that provides the entire party with +5% ATK and +10% DEF (maximum of six stacks). If a character with three Nucleus stacks uses an elemental burst, all party members gain +50% energy recharge.
After selecting a challenge/stage, you can see the roster and potions selection. Here’s the gist:
- The four trial characters for this period are Kazuha, Yoimiya, Yun Jin, and Beidou.
- Try to select your team composition based on synergy and how well they’d do against certain mobs per challenge/stage.
- Let’s say you completed a challenge. The characters you chose there, including trial variants, will be put on standby (i.e., unavailable) for the next challenge that you attempt. For instance, if you chose Kazuha, Ganyu, Shenhe, and Mona for Challenge #3, then you need to clear a different bout before they’re made available again.
- Potions – There are a dozen potion buffs that you can select (you can have a maximum of three for each fight). These buffs will no longer be available in other fights once you’ve picked them.
The battles in A Study in Potions in Genshin Impact tend to be over rather quickly. If you built your characters well, you can rely on team synergy and potion buffs to carry the day. Don’t forget to check the event panel that contains all the tasks that net you rewards.
Lastly, make sure that you reach the high score requirement for the entire floor (i.e., 18,000 for Day 1). Individual challenge clears can’t be reset, which means you’d need to redo everything if you just want that one tally completed.