Counter-Strike 2 (CS2) hosts all of its games on servers. On a typical match, you’ll be playing online with strangers, all on the same server. If you wanted to play with your own friends, with your own rules, then you’ll need a private server all to yourself. We call these dedicated servers, as no one else can join them aside from who you want on. Dedicated servers are awesome for pure and classic FPS fun with your friends, and they allow you to make all your amateur mistakes without judgment. If your friends don’t notice, that is. Here is how to create your own dedicated server in CS2.
Creating the dedicated server in CS2
These dedicated servers are excellent ways to practice locked game modes, like Wingman, ahead of time. You can play against your buddies or bots, to enhance your skill and git gud, so you won’t destroy your W/L or K/D ratios when playing against other players.
There are two ways to create your dedicated server in CS2. Using the menu, or using the console. Here are both methods:
Creating a dedicated server using the menu in CS2
Creating a server using the menu in CS2 is super easy, just follow these steps:
- Launch CS2 and click ‘Play’ on the main menu.
- Select the ‘Practice‘ tab.
- Choose your game mode: Competitive, Wingman, Casual, or Deathmatch (note that you can even play locked game modes in practice!).
- Pick the map you want to play.
- Launch the game!
This practice server will not be public, and you can practice all you want, with bots, friends, or both.
Related: CS2 Tick Rate changes explained
Creating a dedicated server using the console in CS2
This alternate method requires the use of the developer’s console. Simply follow these steps:
- Make sure that you’ve enabled the console in your Game settings.
- Press ` to open the console (that is unless you’ve changed the keybind!).
- Type “map X” and press enter. Replace X with the name of the map you want to play, official or workshopped.
- The game will then launch!
This method is even easier, but both methods work the same. Like the practice server, you can invite your friends here, and you can all fool around.
I hope you’ve enjoyed our guide on creating your own dedicated server in CS2. I wonder what shenanigans you and your friends will be getting up to? For even more CS2 help, look no further than PC Invasion.