You’re going to have to brave the harsh environment and other dangers in Sons of the Forest. Along the way, you’ll be gathering various materials so you can craft an assortment of items. The problem is that the function can be a bit clunky, at least from the get-go. Here’s our guide to help you swap items quickly in Sons of the Forest.
Note: For more information, check out our Sons of the Forest guides and features hub.
Sons of the Forest guide – How to swap items quickly
Early on when you start your Sons of the Forest run, you’re told to open your inventory. This is done by pressing the “I” key, and it cause your character to unpack a bunch of stuff that you’ve collected so far. This includes everything from the Guide Book with several recipes, to odds and ends like sticks, canned food, duct tape, and more. You might think that this is a nifty and immersive feature, one where it feels as though your character is carefully checking out their wares. Unfortunately, it does become a hassle due to the slightly longer animation and the slow panning movement just to select an item.
The good news is that there’s a way to swap items quickly in Sons of the Forest. Here’s what you need to do:
- With your inventory laid out in front of you, right-click on the backpack. Several tools and items will be inside it. You can right-click on the ones that you want to remove or add.
- Now, instead of pressing the “I” key, you simply need to hold it. This will cause your character to bring out their backpack (as seen in the image below).
- From there, you can select all sorts of items that can be equipped by clicking on the object. It’s somewhat faster compared to placing all the stuff on the ground neatly.
Does this method beat the tried-and-tested concept of hotkeys? No, not by a long shot. Sadly, it doesn’t seem as though the game has equipment/weapon hotkeys at the moment, so you’re gonna have to make do with this method for now.
Last but not least, there are three important keybinds to remember:
- “M” – This brings up the GPS Tracker so you can see nearby points-of-interest.
- “B” – This pulls out the Guide Book so you can see various building blueprints.
- “T” – This activates the walkie talkie.
Sons of the Forest is available via Steam.