The Market Square is a major location in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. This is where the game begins, right when Terendelev is attacked by Deskari in the prologue. In Act 1, however, you’ll return to the ruins of this place to meet additional peeps and discover some nifty stuff. Here’s our Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Market Square guide to help you with all the important characters and items that you’ll find here. There are even some tidbits related to the Ascension secret ending.
Note: For more information, check out our Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous guides and features hub.
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Market Square guide
Before you go to the Market Square in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, make sure you talk to everyone in Defender’s Rest so you can get some errands/sidequests while you’re at it. The location that you’re about to visit has numerous NPCs and recruitable companions. Moreover, there are multiple decisions, some of which will affect your campaign in later acts. For now, here’s a look at the map (you’ll enter from the east):
These are the companions (or prerequisites to recruiting certain companions) in the Market Square:
- Ember – Fairly close to the entrance, you’ll find a witch named Ember. She’s being accosted by guards. Help her so she joins your party or she might end up dead.
- Daeran – Near the festival grounds (i.e., where Terendelev died), you’ll meet an Arendae Servant. Exhaust all dialogue options and you’ll learn about Arendae Manor. You can go there whenever you wish, as long as you don’t progress too far in Act 1. That’s where you can recruit Daeran. The place itself is also part of the Starward Gaze quest.
- Nenio – Also near the festival grounds, you’ll spot a Stranger. Talk to him and he’ll mumble some odd things. This will, eventually, unlock a random encounter on the world map. You’ll meet Nenio, who can then join your squad.
Mythic Paths and Secret Ending Items
The Market Square also has a bunch of integral facets that affect your playthrough:
- Aeon – Head to the festival grounds. Hold the alt key to reveal the objects. You should find the Purple Stone Knife here. This leads to a storybook sequence, the first requirement to fully unlock the Aeon Mythic Path and all its time traveling shenanigans. Anyway, make sure you keep the Purple Stone Knife with you at all times (i.e., place it in your character’s alternate weapon slot).
- Azata – This one is tied to your encounter with several NPCs, beginning with Hulrun, then Ramien and Ilkes in the Temple of Desna. This is followed by Aranka in Arendae Manor, and Thall the Wallflower in the eastern portion of the Market Square. All of the details are discussed in our Azata Mythic Path/Starward Gaze guide. If this is your pick, then you’ll be able to recruit Arueshalae earlier in Act 2, and it subsequently leads to the ideal outcome if you romance her.
- Midnight Bolt and Nahyndrian Crystal – There are two important items in the Market Square in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. The first is the Midnight Bolt, which you can find in the festival grounds assuming you used the crossbow on Deskari in the prologue. As for the Nahyndrian Crystal, it’s actually the Purple Stone Knife that you just obtained as a prerequisite for the Aeon unlock. These are just some of the items you need. All the requirements are discussed in detail in our Ascension secret ending guide.
Quests and NPCs
The Market Square in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has several sidequests, too:
- Feud of the Faithful: Ramien and Hulrun – Upon meeting Hulrun, he’ll ask you to search for his rival, Ramien. Your decision here will affect how various quests would turn out, all the way up to the game’s fifth act. In any case, the quest itself is discussed in our Feud of the Faithful guide.
- Starward Gaze: Temple of Desna NPCs – As mentioned earlier, the Starward Gaze quest unlocks Azata.
- A Friend in Need: Curl and Jannah Aldori – You’re told that Seelah is looking for her friend, Jannah Aldori. If you head to the northern portion of the map, you’ll find a halfling named Curl. Help him out, and Jannah will show up. This will lead to additional companion quests for Seelah.
- The Outcast: Kaylessa – An NPC in Defender’s Rest will tell you to find someone named Kaylessa who is, apparently, a cultist. Go to the southern section to meet Kaylessa, pass a World check to learn the truth, and heal her. The Outcast quest itself can’t be completed until Act 3 when you come across Kaylessa and the person who’s hunting her in a random encounter on the world map.
While the Market Square in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous has several low-level demons, fanatics, and cultists running around, there are also a select few enemies that you can fight if you actively look for them:
- Vrock – Enter the house where you rescued Ember. There’s a magic ritual here that you can complete via an Arcana check. If you’re successful, a Vrock will show up before teleporting away. Go to the central ruins where you’ll notice a gap that you can cross (left image). You’ll see the Vrock and you can take it out.
- Nabasu – In one of the alleys in the northeast (close to the graveyard), you can get the Nabasu to appear if you approach the corpses.
- Shadow Demon – Enter the cellar of the ruined house in the northern part of the map. Remove the rubble that’s blocking the corner to make the Shadow Demon spawn.
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is available via Steam.