Beating up your foes in Saints Row does seem like an easy task. After all, all you need to do is come in with guns blazing. Still, there are a few abilities that you can use as you progress to aid you in combat. Here’s our Saints Row skills guide to help you with the best level-up skills that the Boss can equip.
Note: We’ll have a Saints Row guides and features hub soon, so stay tuned.
Saints Row skills guide – The best skills for you to equip
Generally speaking, the skills in Saints Row are unlocked by earning XP and leveling up. It’s a fairly simple process. Barring some exceptions, you’ll obtain one new active skill (or passive) from level 2 onwards. However, do take note that you can only equip up to four any given time.
|2||Pineapple Express||Drop a grenade in your enemy’s pants and throw them away|
|3||Smokescreen||Toss a smoke bomb at your feet to confuse enemies|
|4||Proximity Mine||Throw a mine that explodes when hostiles go near it|
|5||Health Upgrade||Passive: Permanently increases your health|
|6||Tough Mother||Gain a temporary health boost to absorb damage and negate staggers|
|7||Frag Out||Throw a frag grenade|
|8||Flow Upgrade||Passive: Permanently increases your flow|
|9||Flaming Punch||Ignites your fist for an explosive punch|
|10||Health Upgrade||Passive: Permanently increases your health|
|11||Transfusion||Heal yourself and your friends when you deal damage to foes|
|12||Overscope||Pulls out a powerful sniper rifle; headshots cause explosions|
|13||Impulse Trap||An anti-gravity mine suspends nearby targets in mid-air so you can line up your shots|
|14||Flow Upgrade||Passive: Permanently increases your flow|
|15||Health Upgrade||Passive: Permanently increases your health|
|16||Berserker||Attacks deal more damage|
|17||Intercession||Calls more Saints to join the fight|
|18||Quick Draw||Pull out a powerful revolver and gun down up to four targets|
|19||Death Blossom||Spin around while firing bullets in every direction|
|20||Flow Upgrade||Passive: Permanently increases your flow|
– Obtained as part of the Eurekabator Criminal Venture tasks
|Creates a field that lets you shoot through walls and obstacles; increases the damage of bullets that pass through the field|
The best skills in Saints Row
Here are some of what I consider the best skills in Saints Row. A couple are integral for general combat, while others are pretty decent once you get them later in the campaign:
- Pineapple Express – This allows you to grab an opponent, including shielded troopers, before tossing them away to go kaboom. It’s a good way to eliminate specialists without having to remove their shield bar for a takedown. The only downside is that you won’t be able to aim the throw properly, so you could miss most of the target’s other pals.
- Proximity Mine – If you do want a throwable explosive, choose this instead of Frag Out. The Proximity Mine is more reliable, as opposed to the frag grenade that enemies tend to dodge.
- Flaming Punch – I think this is one of the best skills in Saints Row due to its multi-kill capabilities. If you have a lot of enemies rushing you (i.e., Los Panteros or melee elites), you can send all of them flying with this blazing punch.
- Death Blossom – This one is obtained a bit later in your grind/progression. It does significant damage for crowd-clearing, and it’s flashy to boot.
Saints Row is available via the Epic Games Store.