Total War: Rome 2 players interesting in mod making can now grab the Total War: Rome 2 Assembly Kit.
The beta for the mod making tools is available through Steam and it’s totally free. The tools enable fans to edit the database, process data such as textures, models, animations and campaign-game start positions.
Models and animations can be exported with the tools and then changed with additional third party software or tools. The kit contains the follow:
- TWeak with the following two plugins
- DaVE – the game database editor
- Variant Editor – for editing the look of characters, units and ships
- BOB – for processing data including:
- Database tables
- Group formations
- Campaign starting positions
- Packing files into mod pack
- 3ds max for models
- Motion Builder for animations
- Maya for animations
- Example data for each supported data type
- The complete database backend
To make life easier for modders and help people get started, Creative Assembly has included examples such as naval vessels, soldiers, animation sets, and the complete ROME II database backend with the kit. To pout it simply, if you’re modder then these tools should speed up the mod making process before they are uploaded to the Steam Workshop.
This beta is the first release of the tools and more will be added to the kit by CA over time. Want to get started? Check out the documentation over on the official wiki.