There’s a lot to look forward to in Genshin Impact‘s version 2.1 update. Known as “Floating World Under the Moonlight,” we’ll see a continuation of the Traveler’s journey in the region of Inazuma. This is capped off by quests, events, items, characters (i.e., the Raiden Shogun, Kujou Sara, Sangonomiya Kokomi, and Aloy), and more. Here’s our guide and overview to help you with everything you need to know about “Floating World Under the Moonlight,” the version 2.1 update in Genshin Impact.
Note: For more information about the game, check out our Genshin Impact guides and features hub.
What’s new in the Genshin Impact version 2.1 update – Floating World Under the Moonlight
New characters: The Raiden Shogun, Kujou Sara, and Sangonomiya Kokomi
Perhaps one character that a lot of folks are looking forward to in Genshin Impact‘s “Floating World Under the Moonlight” 2.1 update is the Raiden Shogun. The ruler of Inazuma is known as Ei. However, she also serves as the embodiment of the Electro Archon, Baal. The Traveler has had a few close calls with her, and we know that she’ll stop at nothing until she completes her Vision Hunt Decree.
The Raiden Shogun is assisted by her trusted lieutenant, Kujou Sara of the Tenryou Commission. Opposing the loyalist forces are the rebels led by Sangonomiya Kokomi.
Note 1: The Raiden Shogun (5-star) and Kujou Sara (4-star) will be part of the “Reign of Serenity” wish banner, which runs from September 1 until September 21. Sangonomiya Kokomi, meanwhile, will have her own wish banner past this point.
Note 2: You can take a look at our character build guide for the Raiden Shogun, as well as our other guide for Kujou Sara. We’ll have a separate guide for Sangonomiya Kokomi later.
Free 5-star promotional character: Aloy
A crossover that no one expected, Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn/Horizon Forbidden West arrives in Genshin Impact. She starts out as a PlayStation exclusive during the version 2.1 update. If you’re on a different platform, then you’ll need to wait until the version 2.2 update (October 13). If you’re a PS4/PS5 owner, you can get her early, then switch back to your PC where she’ll still be part of your roster.
Note: You can take a look at our Aloy character build guide to learn more about her abilities.
Seirai Island, Watatsumi Island, domains, and quests
Two more islands will be added in Genshin Impact‘s Inazuma region as part of the version 2.1 update. Seirai Island is a place surrounded by devastation and unceasing storms. Meanwhile, Watatsumi Island is the base of operations of the resistance forces.
Alongside these, we’ll also see a trounce domain, Narukami Island: Tenshukaku, which is the dwelling of the Raiden Shogun. Likewise, there’s the Palace in the Pool domain which can be challenged to gain primogems and Electro sigils.
Note: Seirai Island and Watatsumi Island can be unlocked if you reach Adventure Rank 30 and complete Act I of the Inazuma Archon quest. As for the Narukami Island: Tenshukaku trounce domain, it requires you to complete the entire saga, including Act III (mentioned below).
New bosses, enemies, and quests
You’ve had a few run-ins with the Raiden Shogun and Kujou Sara. Now, your exploits lead you to “Omnipresence Over Mortals.” This is Act III of the Inazuma Archon quest, and the conclusion to the epic arc. This will be followed later by the story quests for the Raiden Shogun and Sangonomiya Kokomi. These are known as “Imperatrix Umbrosa Chapter” and “Dracaena Somnoleta Chapter” respectively. More world quests will also be added to existing areas.
As for bosses and elites, we know that La Signora, the eighth of the Fatui Harbingers, can be battled. Apart from La Signora, we’ll get to take on the Hydro Hypostasis and Thunder Manifestation, elite enemies that can be farmed every few minutes or so. Lastly, we’ll see Specters, floating creatures that roam the islands.
New materials to farm
These enemies provide materials used by new characters:
- La Signora drops materials used for high-level talent ascensions. Examples include Molten Moment (used by the Raiden Shogun and Aloy), Ashen Heart (used by Kujou Sara), and Hellfire Butterfly (used by Sangonomiya Kokomi).
- The Thunder Manifestation has Storm Beads and Vajrada Amethyst (used by Raiden Shogun and Kujou Sara).
- The Hydro Hypostasis has Dew of Repudiation and Varunada Lazurite (used by Sangonomiya Kokomi).
- Specters drop Spectral Husks/Spectral Heart/Spectral Nucleus (used by Aloy and Sangonomiya Kokomi).
- As for fauna, you can expect to stumble upon Amakumo Fruit in Seirai Island (used by Raiden Shogun) and Sango Pearls in Watatsumi Island (used by Sangonomiya Kokomi).
Note: For other materials, Kujou Sara simply requires Hilichurl masks and Dendrobium flowers. Meanwhile, Aloy needs Crystal Marrow nodes and Crystalline Bloom/Shivada Jade from the Cryo Hypostasis. We’ll also include additional guides for the remaining enemy encounters and farming locations soon, so stay tuned.
New fishing system, events, weapons, and top-up boosts
Fishing will finally arrive in Genshin Impact as part of the version 2.1 update. No, it’s not just jumping into a body of water and grabbing fish, but actual mechanics. There will also be an event that’s tied to this particular system. As of now, here’s what the event schedule looks like:
- Hyakunin Ikki (September 2 to 13) – Bring two characters to fight opponents in tag team battles. The main reward is the Celebration: Ikki name card.
- Lunar Realm (September 10 to 20) – This is Genshin Impact‘s fishing event where you’ll use bait and lures to catch more stuff. We know that the Moonstringer fishing rod is an event-exclusive reward. However, it also bears mentioning that The Catch, a 4-star polearm, is rumored to be obtainable via the fishing system, too.
- Spectral Secrets (September 19 to September 26) – These are expedition-type tasks.
- Moonlight Merriment (September 27 to October 5) – This is a multi-stage event where you’ll partake in a festival (you’ll even cook and hand over your gourmet dishes). The main reward here is a 4-star claymore called the Luxurious Sea-Lord.
- Passage of Cloud and Stars (September 28 to October 13) – This isn’t actually an event. Rather, you simply need to log on (for a maximum of seven days) to claim rewards such as Intertwined Fates. Yes, you can receive up to 10 of these pink orbs used for featured wish banners. Hopefully, you don’t end up with a duplicate Qiqi or Keqing.
Furthermore, since I’ve already talked about weapons and wishes/fates, you can expect that Genshin Impact‘s “Floating World Under the Moonlight” 2.1 update has new equipment for the gacha crowd. The upcoming “Epitome Invocation” wish banner (September 1 to 21) will have The Unforged (5-star claymore) and Engulfing Lightning (5-star polearm). The Engulfing Lightning, based on raw numbers, is one of the best weapons for the Raiden Shogun.
Finally, those who do like to spend extra will be glad to know that the 2x bonus for Genesis Crystals will be restored once version 2.1 goes live. Remember, this is only a one-time bonus for each value/amount of Genesis Crystals.
Genshin Impact is available via its official website. For more information, check out our guides and features hub.