There is nothing worse than trying to play a bit of Dota 2 – or any game in general – and finding out that you have lost connection. Worst of all, this might not be your fault whatsoever! Be ready to do some research and probably some waiting. Here is how to check whether Dota 2 is down by checking their server status.
Is Dota 2 down? How to check server status
Since Dota 2 uses the same Valve servers as Steam, if there is any issue related to the platform, then most likely there will be an issue regarding Dota 2. Be that as it may, there are some ways you can make sure that some server issues are happening at the moment. So, before you call your internet provider once again, follow the steps below to check whether Dota 2 is down and how to check their server status:
- Check steamstat.us: While it isn’t an official source and not connected to Valve or Steam (or Dota 2 for that matter), they use API information to check Valve’s server status.
- Visit Dota 2’s DownDetector page: Again, this is not an official website nor does it check the server status directly. They only compile other user’s complaints and report them in the form of a graph. Just in case you were wondering if you were the only one experiencing connectivity issues.
- Visit Community hubs such as Dota 2’s Reddit page or even Steam’s Dota 2 Discussion page: Just like DownDetector, there is no doubt that players will reach out to the community – hopefully in a peaceful manner – on both Reddit and Steam’s community forums.
Related: How to fix slow unpacking Steam game
Local Troubleshooting Tips
If you think that the issue may be on your side since there are no server issues, do the following:
- Restart Steam.
- Restart your PC.
- Power off your internet router and power it back on.
- Use an ethernet cable to ensure the best connection stability.
- Verify Dota 2’s integrity of game files. Right-click on Dota 2, select Properties, go to Installed Files, and click on “Verify integrity of game files.”
- Reinstall Dota 2.
Hopefully, you get back to Dota 2 in no time! If there are some server issues or downtime, then all you can do is wait. Keep an eye on the steps above and you will be all set!