Case #4: Fathers And Sons
The Sinking City’s fourth case introduces one of the ancient families of Oakmont, the Carpenters. But, you won’t ask yourself why do birds suddenly appear — because there’s only death… and a lot of weird stuff going on.
- Throgmorton will tell you where smugglers can be found so you can help Fred.
- Archives: Go to the Oakmont Chronicle and choose “Advertisements/Salvation Harbor/After the Flood” and you’ll get an address.
- Head to the Seven Oaks Bar in Salvation Harbor to ask about Toothless Bob.
- The bartender tells you that he needs help finding a courier. He gives you an address.
- Find the house in Grimhaven Bay and check all the evidence. Check the burned corpse. Don’t forget to use your Mind’s Eye when you see ripples and clues.
- Retrocognition: (1) “Droch!” (2) “You’re done, kid!” (3) “No mercy!” (4) “Get rid of him.”
- You’ll be given an address for a meeting place. Head there and you’ll be escorted to meet Brutus Carpenter.
- Carpenter tells you that he was placed inside a crematorium’s furnace and, when he escaped, he found out that someone was wearing his face. Okay, then.
- Travel to Carpenter Manor (just north of Throgmorton’s mansion).
- Speak to the taskmaster who wants you to get a sack of potatoes from the basement.
- Use your Mind’s Eye to follow the Omens/shadow crows to the nearby yard.
- Kill the monsters and speak to the thief. You can be nice or you can admonish him. Either way, grab the sack of potatoes.
- Speak to the taskmaster again and he’ll allow you to go upstairs.
- Speak to Graham Carpenter (the son). Check his Bible using your Mind’s Eye.
- The door to Brutus’ room is locked. Use your Mind’s Eye to follow the spectral tentacles and find the key.
- Open Brutus’ room and speak to him.
- You’ll have the address to the Oakmont Crematorium in southern Reed Heights.
- Check the desk at the morgue for a key to the crematorium itself.
- Check all the evidence in the crematorium and morgue, especially the putrid slime.
- Retrocognition: (1) “Another one for you, burn him!” (2) “What by the Aingeals is going on?” (3) Next to the furnace with a person getting knocked out, (4) “I need to get out of here.”
- You’re now looking for a certain James Warren who has a head injury.
- Archives: Go back to St. Mary’s Hospital in Coverside and use the following entries – “Patients/After the Flood/Surgery.” You’ll find Warren upstairs.
- Speak to Warren and he’ll tell you about an old church used for pagan worship. The deity is the Lord of the Woods.
- Archives: Visit Oakmont’s University Library and select “History/17th-19th Century/Local.” You’ll get the address to the old church.
- The Redemption Church can be found in Salvation Harbor so travel there.
- Use your Mind’s Eye on all the statues to reveal their true nature. Kill all the monsters here.
- Go to the basement and get the key from the corpse. Check out the diving suit as well.
- Retrocognition: (1) “The stars are aligned.” (2) “Make sure you get every scrap.” (3) “Take them to the crematorium.” (4) “Don’t wait, I’ll catch up.”
- Make sure you’re stocked up and good to go because you’re in for a fight.
- Use the diving suit.
- Use your Mind’s Eye to reveal the passage behind the writing on the wall. Follow the pillars with the inscription of eyes.
- This’ll be the first time you’ll encounter the devilfish enemy so make sure you continuously shoot at it until you reach the cavern with the green glow.
Boss Fight: Fecund Mother
This is the first boss fight in The Sinking City. The mouth of the monster in the central area will spit weird blobs at you and these do a lot of damage. There are also hostile NPCs that’ll try to melee you.
Make sure to run around the monster, throwing grenades or blasting it with your shotgun. You can safely ignore the NPCs as they might end up dying from your grenades or the boss’ blob spits anyway.
- Pick up evidence and notes and piece together the case via the Mind Palace.
- Return to Graham in Carpenter Manor.
- Head to Brutus’ hideout (you’ll be given an address) and decide the family’s fate.
- Go back to Fish Market basement and tell Fred that you’ve secured his passage out of Oakmont.