Welkin Road is a new game from developer Gregor Panič which is coming to Steam Early Access on 13 April.
The game will take players into a minimalist skyscape where they’ll need to use parkour and grappling hook skills to reach the pillar of light. The trick to success will be mastering the parkour jumps and the two grapple hooks which can be used to generate momentum to help perform “incredible, high-altitude, acrobatic stunts”. Running, balance, leaping and wall running will all play a part in making it through the levels.
The game comes with a single player mode and an against the clock mode in which players can try and beat each other’s times.
There’s some similarities in look to Mirror’s Edge, albeit not quite as complex, but that could be its charm.
Welkin Road Main features:
- Grappling hooks: With full control over two grappling hooks you can chain swings together and use your momentum for fluid, elegant movement.
- Parkour: Use wall running, wall jumping, crouching and wall grappling to overcome obstacles and find the best route to the pillar of light.
- Different grappling mechanics: The game is full of different types of grappling mechanics which will impact the way you move and solve puzzles.
- Challenges and puzzles: Levels require you to master swinging, movement, various abilities and to discover new ways to use and combine them.
- Speedrun mode: Race against the clock or try to beat the times of other runners around the world, and compete for a spot on the leaderboards.
- Intelligent checkpoints: Frequent checkpoints and manual resets mean you can get back into the action as fast as possible. This allows you to practice sections and master an entire level without having to constantly restart. Improve on sections, find the most efficient route and set the best time.
- Official website
- OS: Windows XP SP2
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Q6600
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: GeForce GTX 275
- DirectX: Version 9.0
- Storage: 4 GB available space
- Additional Notes: Adjust settings to get an acceptable framerate.
Founder and Editor of PC Invasion. Veteran PC gamer of over 22 years.