As Tim pointed out in his technical review earlier today, Dishonored 2 is a bit of a mess on the PC. Bethesda has now added their “Best Performance” notes which are as follows:
We are aware that some of you may be encountering issues with Dishonored 2 on PC. Please take a moment to review our recommendations to help better your experience.
- Avoid using Alt-Tab when playing. Relaunch the game if you see performance dropping after using Alt-Tab.
- Avoid having background applications running in addition to the game.
- If you have performance issues, try lowering the resolution.
- Use 1440p resolution only if you have a very high-end GPU ( GTX 1070/1080 or equivalent)
- Keep the V-Sync activated, especially if you have large framerate fluctuations.
- If you have framerate under 30 fps, adjust the “Adaptive Resolution” between minimum (50%) and default value (75%).
- Use the “Auto” presets: this should adjust your visual settings without impacting your framerate.
- If you still have performance issues with “Auto” presets:
- Try deactivating the “TXAA Anti-Aliasing”
- Try lowering the texture details
If you experience performance issues, you can contact Bethesda Customer Support at https://help.bethesda.net/ with your DxDiag file for further troubleshooting.
Information on creating a DxDiag file and contacting customer support can be found here – https://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/2…
Or contact us on Twitter @BethesdaSupport
While most of this probably won’t help some users should give it a shot anyway just in case. Other players have stepped up in an attempt to resolve some of the problems and suggest a few ideas.
Nvidia users can try and set their pre-rendered frames to 1 or 2. There is also the suggestion to set the game to high priority after every loading screen because it’s reset with every new loading screen. There are explanations on now to change these in this Steam post.
Arkane’s Harvey Smith also said they are “investigating” the problems and hopefully, some kind of magic patch will appear to fix this b0rked release.