The upcoming Mare Nostrum add-on for Europa Universalis IV, dealing with all things naval and coastal, will be released on 5 April. It’ll cost $15.00 USD, and the game will get a major free patch (adding some features for all) on the same day.
In Mare Nostrum, merchant republics will now be able to form Trade Leagues, mercantile alliances that benefit all members. The expansion also allows you to rent out your army to other nations, attempts to streamline some of the naval micro-management (with specific automated missions), and allows the sharing of map details with neighbours.
The free patch portion will add plenty of things too, including the following.
- Map Expansion: Greater detail to Ireland and sub-Saharan African, especially in the Congo and East Central Africa, and new “States and Territories” system.
- Espionage Reworking: Your diplomats can now build spy networks in enemy nations, from where you can fabricate claims on enemy holdings or undermine them from within.
- Interface improvements: Better tooltips overall, and naval blockades are now more obvious on the map.
- Naval Combat Changes: better morale system and increased chance to capture enemy vessels.
- And even more changes to game balance, AI and modding triggers.
Here’s Europa Universalis IV maestro Johan Andersson talking about all of this in video form.