Were you wondering what had happened to the World of Warcraft legacy server petition? It appears that Blizard is not ready to announce vanilla servers any time soon.
It was thought that Blizzard might make an announcement at Blizzcon but that’s not going to happen according to WoW’s J.Allen Brack. He made the following post this evening to the community.
We’ve seen some talk among the community that you might be expecting to hear some news on legacy servers at BlizzCon, and we just wanted to take a moment to let you know that while we’re still discussing the possibility, we won’t have any updates to share on that until after the show.
These past few months we’ve been laser-focused on the launch of Legion and getting Patch 7.1: Return to Karazhan ready to go (it’s almost here!), as well as prepping for BlizzCon—which is always a huge undertaking itself. You’ve heard us say that the launch of Legion was just the beginning of the story we want to tell in this expansion. What we will focus on at BlizzCon is how the team is committed to making sure we bring you a steady stream of content going forward, and we can’t wait to share what’s next for Legion.
Thanks for your patience, and we’ll see you at BlizzCon.
-J. Allen Brack and the World of Warcraft development team
In a recent update from the Nostalrius team, they revealed that Blizzard had overcome the technical hurdles with a WoW legacy server project so it was looking hopeful that an announcement would come sooner rather than later.
In this previous update, Nostalrius closed out with, “If Blizzard doesn’t make an announcement to honour their own core values, be sure that we will.” What this means is anyone’s guess but Nostalrius are not going to let this slip.
Looks like old-school WoW players are going to have to keep waiting for Blizzard to come up with the goods, if they do at all.
Directly related to this World of Warcraft story
- World of Warcraft Legacy server technical issues solved by Blizzard
- Nostalrius report on Blizzard meeting
- Vanilla server meeting with Blizzard goes well
- Update Interview with Mark Kern
- Nostalrius no longer releasing the source code.
- The petition has surpassed the 200K goal.
- PC Invasion Interview – Ex-World of Warcraft dev Mark Kern explains why Blizzard should open vanilla servers
- Blizzard post official statement on World of Warcraft vanilla servers
- World of Warcraft vanilla server petition open letter released
- Kern responds to Blizzard on World of Warcraft vanilla servers: “Brack’s just … wrong”
- Blizzard to meet with Mark Kern and Nostalrius.
Founder and Editor of PC Invasion. Veteran PC gamer of over 22 years.