Third-person space RPG Starpoint Gemini 2 will be leaving Steam’s Early Access and launching on the main store later this month. Little Green Men’s game has been in Early Access since September of last year, so the 26 September release date will represent 12 months of Early Access betas and updates.
The title is kind of an unusual hybrid of various other games. It has the exploration and trading of something like Elite, but a third-person viewpoint. Meanwhile, the combat cooldown skills and levelling are more like something from an action-RPG like Diablo 3. I previewed it earlier this year, but keep in mind that when reading that a whole bunch of features have been added since that time.
Here’s the run-down of what will be available in the Starpoint Gemini 2 launch version, followed by some screenshots:
- Complex, but easy-to-use RPG system, now coupled with dynamic real-time 3D combat
- Explore the dynamic game world as a whole, rather than through individual maps
- Use T-Gates, wormholes, and rift ways to travel faster around the Gemini system
- 50 diverse factions ranging from states and companies to outlaws, locked in a power struggle, with more than 100 commodities to trade or plunder
- Special revocable licenses acquired from factions offer various bonuses and unlock new options
- Gamers can view mercenary captains to follow them on their travels to share their fate, and employ officers to fill key positions on their ship (engineering, navigation, tactical)
- Random missions get generated depending on the player’s actions and allegiances
- More than 70 unique ships, fully upgradeable with various ship systems, with a.o. visible turrets, and a large arsenal of destructive weapons to blast enemies to pieces
- Direct ship controls create complete immersion
- Advanced physics provided by NVIDIA PhysX technology
- Extensive modding with Steam Workshop