The Total War: Warhammer Assembly Kit has been updated today (on Windows 10) with a beta that allows map editing for multiplayer and custom battles. Going by the name of ‘Terry’, it can be accessed through Steam in the traditional manner for betas.
Under ‘Tools’ in the Steam library, owners of Total War: Warhammer can download the Assembly Kit. A right click on its name will enable you to open up Properties, then the Betas tab, pop the code ‘fjesij4issfgwse30s334’ in the access box, and ‘cascade2’ should become available in the drop-down menu. Right now it’s only for those on Windows 10 machines. The Windows 7 and 8 versions will be released at the end of February, when the full update is expected.
Sadly, campaign map editing is not going to be an option. According to Creative Assembly, “The way we build the campaign map at CA is through a series of processes involving a mix of tech we make and 3rd party tools we don’t own the right to distribute, within a development version of the game”; and while that doesn’t make such an editor impossible, it makes it suitably prohibitive in their opinion.
Here’s what the latest Assembly Kit beta brings:
• Land battle map editing for custom and multiplayer battle.
• Full suite of environment models, props, SFX and VFX for map creation.
• A.I. hints, deployment editing, no-go regions, terraforming, texture terrain painting, vegetation terrain painting and more.
• Customizable layout and layering within the tools for easy organization and navigation.
• Easy one click export that creates a .pack file for you map, allowing you to toggle it on and off in the Total War Launcher as you wish.
• Live map transfer in multiplayer. Simply host a game with a custom map and other players will download it automatically without the need to subscribe on the workshop. The maps will be deleted after the battle (unless subscribed to in the workshop or manually placed in the game data folder)
• Share maps via steam workshop and subscribe to your favourites. Having maps enabled will not affect your ability to join multiplayer games.