You’ll now be able to sweep the planet (or, well, Europe and some of Africa) with an army worthy of Boudicca in Total War: Rome 2, as Creative Assembly adds a lot more women to the game in both free-DLC and paid-DLC forms. Let’s have a look at what both of these updates add (sadly, no sign yet of an actual in-game Boudicca.)
The freebie DLC should download automatically on Steam, but if it doesn’t try restarting the client. It adds a few free, all-women units to the game and also provides a decent update to the original Rome 2 Suebi line-up.
Here’s what you get:
• Hex-Bearers (infantry, sword and shield): new Suebi garrison unit.
Ambushing from hidden woodland positions, the sword-armed Hex Bearers strike terror into the hearts of the enemy.
• Amazonian Riders (cavalry, bow): can be recruited by Royal Scythia, or as mercenaries in Sarmatia, Ponto-Caspia and Scythia.
With excellent bow-range and able to form Cantabrian Circle, Amazonian Riders are adept at keeping the enemy at arm’s length.
• Scythian Noblewomen (cavalry, bow): can be recruited by Royal Scythia
Trained to resist fatigue, and with superior morale born of their station, Scythian Noblewomen can outlast most combatants in a long fight.
And here are the Suebi-specific bits:
• Horse Runners (infantry, javelin skirmishers):
These fleet-of-foot warriors can strike hard and fast from cover, making them the elite of the Suebi skirmishers.
Become a PC Invasion SupporterSupport PC Invasion by becoming a supporter. Ad free, actively shape the site content, and gain priority access to contests and giveaways.
• Spear Wall (infantry, spear and shield):
The most defensive spear unit in the Suebi roster, Spear Wall is a bulwark against even
the most powerful cavalry.
• Round Shield Swordsmen (infantry, sword and shield):
Their high weapon damage makes the Round Shield Swordsmen fearsome combatants who punch above their weight.
• Riders of the Hunt (cavalry, spear):
Few warriors have faced a charge from these terrifying, frenzied horsemen and lived to tell the tale.
So, that’s the free stuff. For $3.00 USD, you can also get the Daughters of Mars DLC for even more women to add to your ranks. This unit pack adds the following options to Rome 2:
- Gladiatrices: Can be recruited by Rome, or as mercenaries in Italia.
- Mercenary Kushite shieldwomen: Can be recruited as mercenaries in Aethiopia.
- Lusitani Swordswomen: Can be recruited by The Lusitani, or as mercenaries in Lusitania.
- Cimbri Bow-Women: Can be recruited by The Suebi.
- Spear Gladiatrices: Can be recruited by Rome, or as mercenaries in Italia.
- Gorgo’s Skirmishers: Can be recruited by Sparta, or as mercenaries in Hellas.
- Spearwomen: Can be recruited by The Suebi, or as mercenaries in Suebia, Silesia, and Magna Germania.
Here they all are, fightin’ around the world in the inevitable DLC trailer.