After getting past the Templar and the Gorgon’s Maze, you’ll eventually come across a wide-open area with an ominous-looking Vex gate far ahead. This is where you’ll fight the Gatekeepers, followed by Atheon. Both encounters have a few mechanics and locations that are quite similar. In any case, here’s our guide to help you with the Gatekeeper encounter in Destiny 2‘s Vault of Glass raid.
Destiny 2 Vault of Glass – Gatekeeper encounter guide
The objective of the Gatekeeper encounter in Destiny 2‘s Vault of Glass raid is to take out the mobs that spawn, especially the first Gatekeeper (unique Vex hydra) that’s right in front of the “plaza” (the open area). When the first Gatekeeper dies, it’ll drop the relic (similar to what you used during the Templar boss fight). From here, players will simply complete their tasks depending on their roles.
Divide your team into two groups of three players each:
- Outside team – Players will start by clearing out the mobs that’ll continue to spawn in the regular fight area. Two players stand on the Vex plates on both sides to open up the teleporters. The third can simply roam around and help out with mobs (i.e., like a floater).
- Portal team – This team will have tasks that are slightly more complicated. You’ll want to send one player (add-clearer) through each portal. The third player will pick up the relic dropped by the Gatekeeper.
Note: The portals are usually called “left/Mars” and “right/Venus.” These are the same callouts used for the Atheon fight as well.
Outside team tasks and suggested loadouts
Have players stand on both plates to keep the portals active and make sure that Vex hostiles don’t get near. There are also Overload minotaurs, so you’ll want to have Artifact mods that can disrupt them (i.e., Overload SMG). It’s also a good idea to use The Lament or Anarchy to quickly handle the Overload minotaurs.
Watch out for an additional Gatekeeper that spawns periodically throughout the encounter. It’ll usually move to the middle platform and you’ll need to burst it down. Otherwise, it’ll keep the portals deactivated.
Inside team/relic holder tasks
Both the left/Mars and right/Venus locations have a conflux. Similar to an earlier encounter, you’ll need to defend them from a multitude of Vex enemies. If they sacrifice, your team will wipe. The mobs (i.e., goblins, wyverns, and Praetorian minotaurs) will spawn at the large gate going to the conflux, so you can usually funnel them while shooting.
The Praetorian minotaur is shielded and its defenses can only be broken by melee hits from the relic. The player on either Mars or Venus will need to call out if the Praetorian is in their area. The relic holder will go there immediately to take it out. Here’s what should happen next:
- Let’s say the first Praetorian spawned in Venus, drop the relic and let the Venus player pick it up. This player will then use the teleporter and go back outside near the Mars gateway. They’ll then drop the relic which has to be picked up by someone else like the floater.
- The floater then runs inside the Mars portal to kill the Praetorian. They’ll drop the relic and guard the conflux. The original Mars add-clearer will pick up the relic and go outside, drop it, and have it get picked up by another teammate (i.e., the original relic holder when you started the fight). That person then enters Venus to help with the Praetorian there.
- You’ll continue swapping the relic around as a team. This is because of a debuff that prevents a player from using the teleporter after they’ve just entered/exited with the relic.
Continue doing this until six Praetorian minotaurs have been eliminated. Then, a new conflux will appear at the wide-open space/plaza. Defend it since countless Vex enemies (including wyverns and Praetorian minotaurs) will pop up too. Let the relic holder handle the Praetorians while the rest of the team clears all other mobs. When you’re done with the Gatekeeper encounter, you’ll receive another raid/pinnacle drop.
All right, let’s go ahead and discuss Atheon, the final boss of Destiny 2‘s Vault of Glass raid, in the next part of our guide series.