Upon reaching the yard in Elden Ring‘s Stormveil Castle, you’re just a few steps away from Godrick the Grafted, this main boss of this Legacy Dungeon. He’s one tough fella, and you might have quite the ordeal if you mistime your shots or spellcasts. Here’s our Elden Ring boss guide to help you beat Godrick the Grafted, the main boss of Stormveil Castle.
Note: For more information, check out our Elden Ring guides and features hub.
Elden Ring guide – How to beat Godrick the Grafted
Godrick the Grafted in Elden Ring has a few notable tricks:
- Melee – All of his melee hits will annihilate you if you’re not careful. They’ll eat through your stamina and they have wide, near-360-degree arcs.
- Whirlwind – Godrick’s bread and butter is his whirlwind ability. While he’s casting this, it’s able to deflect all projectiles and offensive spells. You’ll be wasting your ammo and FP if you mistime your attacks.
- Whirlwind Projectile – After the short casting time, Godrick will toss two wind projectiles that will home in on your location. These can be avoided, but you need to be wary of their trajectory. Still, it’s possible to use the tombstones to block the path of these projectiles, or hug a wall as long as it’s between you and Godrick’s line of sight.
NPC Helper: Nepheli Loux and summons
If you spoke with Nepheli Loux at the yard, a golden sign will let you call her aid prior to each attempt. She doesn’t deal a lot of damage, but she can survive for a while and heal up at least once. As for summons, most of the ones that you’ll have at this stage of the game will be useless, as Godrick’s AoE will probably shred them.
In any case, whether you’re focused on pure melee, a bit of ranged DPS, or some spellcasting, battling Godrick the Grafted in Elden Ring is all about well-timed dodges and using Nepheli Loux as a distraction.
Once you drop Godrick’s health to 50%, a cinematic will play. He’ll grab the dead dragon’s head and attach it to his arm, essentially gaining a flamethrower. He’ll have some nifty abilities:
- Flame Whirlwind and Projectile – This time, the tornado that he does will be infused with flames. If you get hit, there’s an additional animation where your character is flailing around due to getting scorched.
- Flamethrower – Godrick’s other attack is a frontal sweep with the dragon’s head. The only way to avoid this is to roll clockwise toward the flame as it’s about to hit you. Poor timing will cause you to get burned.
After eliminating Godrick the Grafted in Elden Ring, you’ll receive a couple of items. The first is the Remembrance of the Grafted. You can go back to the Roundtable and talk to Finger Reader Enia (the prophet in the Two Fingers chamber). You’ll be able to exchange this for either of these two rewards:
- Axe of Godrick (greataxe)
- Skill – I Command Thee, Kneel!
- Requirements – Str 34 and Dex 22
- Scaling – Str D and Dex D
- Grafted Dragon (fist)
- Skill – Bear Witness!
- Requirements – Str 20, Dex 14, and Fai 16
- Scaling – Str D, Dex D, and Fai D.
Note: Since you’re already in Roundtable Hold, you can acquire Rogier’s Rapier from Sorcerer Rogier (he’s at the balcony) and the Arsenal Charm from Nepheli Loux (she’s in one of the hallways). You might also find Roderika here, kickstarting her personal quest where she’d eventually let you upgrade your Spirit Ash Summons.
In any case, the other key item that you’ll get is Godrick’s Great Rune. It has no power now, but you’ll be able to find a way to activate the Great Rune. You may also head to the next region called Liurnia of the Lakes.
Elden Ring is available via Steam. For more information, check out our guides and features hub.