Guacamelee! 2 was announced a few months ago, and as of today we finally know the release date. A new trailer reveals the sequel will launch for PlayStation 4 and PC on August 21. The title will cost $19.99 / €19.99.
In addition to the release date and trailer, some touted features from the devs include:
- An epic adventure spanning time and space, featuring drop-in 4-player local co-op for you and your best amigos!
- A brand new upgrade system: discover “trainers” around the world, defeat their challenges, and develop your skill sets for movement, combat, and more!
- A vibrant, colorful adventure that takes you from the Mangrove Swamp to Hell itself, featuring twice as many enemy types as the first game and a roster of eccentric new bosses!
- New rendering engine: Normal mapped characters and environments significantly enhance the game’s visuals
- An absolutely fuego electro-Mexican soundtrack, and more gorgeous visuals than ever thanks to a fancy new rendering engine!
- Definitely no secret society of chickens that teaches you ancient chicken abilities previously lost to the ages!
- 99% less memes (maybe…)
I’m a longtime fan of indie developer Drinkbox Studios. Aside from their very first game, I’ve played and enjoyed all of their work. Guacamelee!, in particular, was a favorite of mine — a Metroidvania full of Mexican and Aztec iconography with a good sense of humor. Tight controls and great looking art-style ensured that it quickly won me over.
I was unsure about Guacamelee! 2 at first, due to the addition of 4-player co-op and the possible impact on level design. However, as time has gone on, I’ve warmed to the idea and gotten more interested. The features make it sound like they’ve expanded on the already excellent systems, and the screenshots look very pretty.
We’ll find out in August how it all comes together for Guacamelee! 2.