The Ranger is a versatile class in Baldur’s Gate 3 thanks to sniping and even befriending lots of animal companions. This class knows how to hunt their prey, and typically has a good connection with nature. Here’s our Ranger class guide to help you out.
Baldur’s Gate 3: Ranger class and skills guide
The Ranger class in Baldur’s Gate 3 has the following features:
- Saving Throw Proficiency: Strength, Dexterity
- Armor Proficiency: Light, Medium
- Shield Proficiency
- Simple and Martial Weapon Proficiency
- Choose three skills from this list: Animal Handling, Athletics, Insight, Investigation, Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival
Note: Each time the Ranger class levels up, they gain HP based on their Constitution stat plus a d10 (10-sided) dice roll.
Players who choose the Ranger must also select a Favored Enemy to gain Proficiencies or spells:
|Favored Enemy Selection||Effect|
|Bounty Hunter||Investigation proficiency; |
Thieves Cant passive;
Restrained creatures have a harder time escaping.
|Keeper of the Veil||Arcana proficiency; |
Protection from Evil and Good spell.
|Mage Breaker||Arcana proficiency; |
True Strike cantrip (uses Wisdom stat)
|Ranger Knight||History proficiency; |
Heavy Armor proficiency
|Sanctified Stalker||Religion proficiency; |
Sacred Flame cantrip (uses Wisdom stat)
There’s also the Natural Explorer option. Select one to gain an additional bonus:
|Natural Explorer Selection||Effect|
|Beast Tamer||Can cast Find Familiar.|
|Urban Tracker||Proficiency with disguise kits and thieves’ tools|
|Wasteland Wanderer: Cold||Resistance to cold; take only half damage.|
|Wasteland Wanderer: Fire||Resistance to fire; take only half damage.|
|Wasteland Wanderer: Poison||Resistance to poison; take only half damage.|
Ranger skills and abilities
Certain skills here will be active depending on your character’s background. In general, however, you should see the following for the Ranger class (you can pick up to three):
- Animal Handling – Allows you to gain the trust of wild creatures.
- Athletics – Skills in physical movement such as jumping, swimming, and climbing.
- Insight – Read people and certain situations; pierce through lies and deceit.
- Investigation – Extracting information from objects or people.
- Nature – Expertise when it comes to flora, fauna, and the primal rhythms of the world around you.
- Perception – Detect the details of the environment; see things out of the ordinary.
- Stealth – Sneaking and using cover to avoid detection.
- Survival – The knowledge of tracking, foraging, and hunting; familiarity with natural hazards.
For the Ranger class’ attributes, you can’t go wrong with Dexterity. DEX is your go-to stat, especially if you’re sniping foes at a distance. I’d choose Wisdom for your second-highest stat, since it’s a Rangers spellcasting ability. This means that you should give the +2 bonus to DEX, and the +1 to WIS.
Baldur’s Gate 3 is available on Steam.