The Ranger is a versatile character in Baldur’s Gate 3 thanks to sniping and even befriending lots of animal companions. Here’s our Ranger class guide to help you out.
Note: For more information, check out our Baldur’s Gate 3 guides and features hub as well as our character creation guide. Likewise, please be reminded that this guide is intended for the game’s Early Access stage. Some information and mechanics might change in due course.
Baldur’s Gate 3: Ranger class and skills guide
The Ranger class in Baldur’s Gate 3 has the following features:
- Saving Throw Proficiency: Strength, Dexterity
- Armor Proficiency: Light, Medium
- Shield Proficiency
- Simple Weapon Proficiency
- Martial Weapon Proficiency
Note 1: Each time the Ranger class levels up, it gains HP based on its Constitution stat plus a d10 (10-sided) dice roll.
Note 2: The Ranger does not have subclasses available at character creation. Instead, you can choose to become a Hunter or Beast Master once you reach level 3.
Players who choose the Ranger must also select a Favored Enemy to gain proficiencies or spells:
|Favored Enemy Selection||Effect|
|Bounty Hunter||Investigation proficiency;|
Thieves Cant passive;
Restrained creatures have a harder time escaping.
|Keeper of the Veil||Arcana proficiency;|
Protection from Evil and Good spell.
|Mage Breaker||Arcana proficiency;|
True Strike cantrip (uses Wisdom stat)
|Ranger Knight||History proficiency;|
Heavy Armor proficiency
|Sanctified Stalker||Religion proficiency;|
Sacred Flame cantrip (uses Wisdom stat)
There’s also the Natural Explorer option. Select one to gain an additional bonus:
|Natural Explorer Selection||Effect|
|Beast Tamer||Can cast Find Familiar.|
|Urban Tracker||Proficiency with disguise kits and thieves’ tools|
|Wasteland Wanderer: Cold||Resistance to cold; take only half damage.|
|Wasteland Wanderer: Fire||Resistance to fire; take only half damage.|
|Wasteland Wanderer: Poison||Resistance to poison; take only half damage.|
Ranger skills and abilities/attributes
Certain skills here will be active depending on your character’s background. In general, however, you should see the following for the Ranger class (you can pick up to three):
- Animal Handling – Allows you to gain the trust of wild creatures.
- Athletics – Skills in physical movement such as jumping, swimming, and climbing.
- Insight – Read people and certain situations; pierce through lies and deceit.
- Investigation – Extracting information from objects or people.
- Nature – Expertise when it comes to flora, fauna, and the primal rhythms of the world around you.
- Perception – Detect the details of the environment; see things out of the ordinary.
- Stealth – Sneaking and using cover to avoid detection.
- Survival – The knowledge of tracking, foraging, and hunting; familiarity with natural hazards.
For the Ranger class’ attributes, you can’t go wrong with Dexterity. DEX is your go-to stat, especially if you’re sniping foes at a distance. STR is a close second followed by CON or WIS.