If you managed to find the Academy Key, then you’ll be able to explore the facility built and protected by magic. This is the Legacy Dungeon in the Liurnia of the Lakes region in Elden Ring. After a little romp, you’ll finally have a chance to battle a major boss. Here’s our Elden Ring guide to help you defeat Rennala Queen of the Full Moon in the Academy of Raya Lucaria.
Note: For more information, check out our Elden Ring guides and features hub.
Elden Ring boss guide – How to beat Rennala Queen of the Full Moon in the Academy of Raya Lucaria
Rennala Queen of the Full Moon might be one of the easiest bosses in Elden Ring… if you’re a melee or ranged fighter, that is. If you’re a spellcaster, then you’ll soon realize that she’s extremely resistant to magic. Whoops!
In any case, here’s our goal for the Rennala Queen of the Full Moon boss fight in Elden Ring:
- During the first phase, Rennala is floating in the air while protected by an impenetrable barrier. Several of her pupils are crowding around her, and they’re very creepy.
- You need to look for the mob that has a golden glow and is throwing books at you. This is the caster that’s also empowering her shield.
- Kill the three casters that will appear in succession to break Rennala’s barrier. You can then wail away at her with impunity for several seconds. Just dodge-roll away when a golden glow emanates from her since she’ll do an explosive burst.
- During this stage, Rennala will say something about how her students are about to be “born anew.” If you look in her direction, you’ll see the mobs floating until they get turned into tombstones. The boss will fling several of these in your direction, likely killing you due to the impact. As such, you’d want to use the shelves to block the transformed projectiles.
Repeat the above steps until Rennala’s HP is fully depleted. A cinematic will then play, and Rennala will transport you to another dimension. This is where things can get rough for magic users due to your opponent’s spell resistance. Anyway, you’ll want to watch out for Rennala’s Glintstone spells:
- For those with a faster casting time or projectile speed, you have to dodge around or sideways to avoid them.
- Conversely, those with longer casting times allow you to roll toward her and try a few hits with your weapon.
Your foe will also periodically summon spectral beasts to aid her. Take note of what she spawns due to their attack patterns:
- Lone Wolves – This pack will run around and try to nip at your heels.
- Bloodhound Knight – An extremely deadly enemy with fast attacks and swipes.
- Troll – The summoning ability will cause it to instantly smash downward on the ground, instantly killing you if you’re underneath it.
- Dragon – This summon will breathe fire in a frontal cone before flying away. It’ll then raze the area in a horizontal line.
Rennala’s Great Rune and Remembrance
Just keep at it, and you should be able to defeat Rennala Queen of the Full Moon in Elden Ring. Your rewards include the Great Rune of the Unborn. This does not need to be activated unlike Godrick’s Great Rune. This simply adds the stat respec/reset function when you talk to Rennala (she’s still going to be here even after you’ve beaten her). However, you do need to acquire Larval Tears to proceed.
The other reward is the Remembrance of the Full Moon Queen. Make your way back to the Roundtable and talk to Finger Reader Enia. She’ll give you another Talisman Pouch (i.e., an extra slot for talismans that can be equipped). Likewise, you can exchange the Remembrance for either of these:
- Carian Regal Scepter (staff)
- Skill – Spinning Weapon
- Requirement – Str 8, Dex 10, and Int 40
- Scaling – Str E, Dex E, and Int B
- Rennala’s Full Moon (Sorcery spell)
- Requirement – Int 70
- Cost – 70 FP
What’s next after this? Well, Enia tells you that you’re ready to become the Elden Lord since you have two active Great Runes already. This allows access to the Royal Capital Leyndell. But, that’s going to be a brutal trek if you’re unprepared. For now, you can try to discover more secrets in Liurnia of the Lakes. You may also progress onward by attempting to reach Altus Plateau.
Note: There’s a treasure chest behind Rennala, but it’s going to take a lot of time and effort to unlock it. We discuss it in detail in our Rennala treasure chest guide.