Everyone who’s read the Harry Potter novels or watched the film knows that being able to fly on a broom would be very cool. Thankfully, you can do just that in Hogwarts Legacy. You do need to progress a bit further in the campaign, but it’s well worth it. Here’s our Hogwarts Legacy guide to help you get a broom so you can fly in outdoor areas and partake in time trial races.
Note: For more information, check out our Hogwarts Legacy guides and features hub.
Hogwarts Legacy guide – How to get a broom and fly (Flying Class and Flight Test)
Flying Class Lessons
To get a broom in Hogwarts Legacy, you’ll need to advance further in the story until you complete Jackdaw’s Rest. After clearing the dungeon, another set of quests will appear the next day. The first one, Flying Class, requires you to head to the open grounds. There, you’ll learn the basics:
- Use the WASD keys for lateral movement. The spacebar and ctrl keys allow you to ascend and descend respectively.
- After passing through the rings, you’ll get the speed burst toggle. Simply press the shift key and your character will move faster.
- Then, upon circling around the school, one of the students will ask you to take a tour by flying around again. Simply follow him and return to the grounds when you’re done. You’ll also learn about a stronger boost, which can be done by pressing and holding the left mouse button. However, this does deplete your boost meter (i.e., the yellow bar above your health if you’re on a broom).
Flight Test: Buying a Broom and the Time Trial Race
To be clear, Flying Class is just the preliminary step if you want to fly on a broom in Hogwarts Legacy. After this stage, you’ll have to (a) learn Confringo by talking to Sebastian, and (b) unlock the Room of Requirement. When those two tasks are done, you’ll get the Flight Test objective.
This time, you’ll head to the Spintwitches Sporting Needs in Hogsmeade. You can purchase any broom here, but they all cost 600 gold. If you’re strapped for cash, you can check our tips in our moneymaking guide.
Now that you have a flying broom in Hogwarts Legacy, it’s time to head to make good use of it:
- Press and hold the tab key to show your quick-use items, then press “3” to mount your broom.
- Flying controls are the same as noted above. If you wish to descend, you can press the “B” key.
- You may fly in open areas, such as the highlands and outskirts of Hogwarts. However, certain places like Hogsmeade and many others are considered no-fly zones.
Likewise, you’ll want to head to the Quidditch Pitch. A student will challenge you to a time trial race. The key difference here is that there are more rings that you need to pass through as you zip around the region. Moreover, you’ll notice green orbs which provide a bigger speed boost. You don’t really need to tag all of them since it can make your broom harder to control, but they do help immensely. When you’re finished, you’ll unlock the Broom Racing minigame in Hogwarts Legacy.
Hogwarts Legacy is available via Steam.