The Quarry character deaths guide – Playable characters and everyone dies (“Hackett’s Quarry Massacre” achievement)
Let’s talk about playable character death scenes in The Quarry, as well as how to obtain the “Hackett’s Quarry Massacre” achievement. It requires all playable characters to die in a single playthrough. The Hacketts themselves aren’t included in this tally, so don’t worry about them.
- Drowning in the lake (Chapter 3: Jacob) – You can get this character death scene in The Quarry if Jacob took the rotor arm from the van at the start of Chapter 1.
- In Chapter 3, Jacob and Emma will go swimming in the lake. He then hears Abby screaming. But, at the same time, he realizes that he dropped the rotor arm.
- Choose to “Dive In” and pass the QTE to get the item.
- While Jacob is surfacing, he sees a bloated corpse and he gets snagged on a chain.
- Keep choosing the “Pull” option instead of “Detangle” so Jacob drowns. You can watch the video below from YouTuber RiskeyNix to see this particular instance.
- Shotgun blast (Chapter 4: Ryan) – At the start of Chapter 4, you’ll have an aim-and-shoot sequence.
- Shoot the bushes and talk to Kaitlyn. Then, you’ll have another aim-and-shoot moment.
- Let the timer dwindle until you can almost see the figure that’s moving through the bushes.
- Shoot once more and the group will think it’s nothing. They’ll just write a welcome note in case the others arrive. Too bad they didn’t write an obituary for Jacob whose corpse was left in the bushes.
- Bear trap (Chapter 6: Jacob) – Jacob is being chased by a werewolf.
- Pass the QTEs until he gets caught in a bear trap.
- Choose to “Pull Free” and then fail the QTE to see his head crunched by another bear trap.
- Possible: Werewolf Nick (Chapter 6: Jacob) – A thought came to mind but it needs some confirmation.
- In Chapter 3, Jacob gets entangled in a trap until Bobby frees him. If he doesn’t “Throw Dirt” at Bobby, the big guy will smudge werewolf blood on his face. This, essentially, masks Jacob’s scent and tricks other werewolves.
- In Chapter 6, Jacob will get chased. He can “Hide” in the bushes and fail the QTE. Because he has a werewolf’s scent, the creature won’t harm him, and you’ll continue onward with the bear trap scene/choice.
- However, if you did “Throw Dirt” and escape, that means Jacob’s scent will no longer be masked. Failing the QTE in Chapter 6 would mean the creature would know he’s human. Still, I can’t confirm if this leads to an actual death scene or if Jacob just gets infected.
- Werewolf Nick (Chapter 8: Ryan) – Ryan and Laura will see Jacob trapped in an electrified cage. There’s also a werewolf that’s imprisoned (they don’t know that it’s Nick).
- Agree with Jacob’s plan to power down the circuit breakers.
- Then, pull #1 and #2 to open Jacob’s cage.
- Finally, pull #3 and #4 to open the werewolf’s cage. It’s chow time for Nick!
- Werewolf Nick (Chapter 9: Laura) – Laura will sabotage the power circuit during Chapter 9. This will cause the cages to open, leading to Jacob getting thrashed by Nick. Jacob can avoid certain death at this point if he was already infected by Nick in Chapter 6, as the werewolf will just ignore him.
- Werewolf… Chris or Caleb? (Chapter 10: Jacob) – If Jacob’s still alive during the last chapter, he’ll be walking alone in the forest when a werewolf shows up.
- Fail the QTEs and he dies.
- Looks like the werewolf might be Chris, assuming that he was able to kill Ryan at the end of Chapter 9. Alternatively, it might be Caleb before he headed to the lodge.
- Werewolf Max (Chapter 4: Emma) – Emma’s social media followers are eclipsed by the number of times she can die in this chapter.
- When she reaches the treehouse, she’ll joke about how she’ll die if she opens the trapdoor. Do just that and, well, her wish is granted.
- If you search the bag, she’ll pick up the bear spray and taser before running away from the monster. Failing the QTEs will either cause her to drop her items or turn her into a meal.
- Even if she makes it back inside the treehouse, there are more QTEs that await. Again, failure leads to death.
- Fall from zipline (Chapter 4: Emma) – This is the vision you’ll get from The Tower card.
- Reel the zipline in quickly.
- When the monster appears, choose to jump and fail the QTE. Emma falls to her doom.
- Silver shells (Chapter 8: Kaitlyn) – Here are the requirements (thanks to Yuen Kb in the comments section for the tips):
- Emma will have to be infected by Werewolf Max in Chapter 4.
- When Kaitlyn, Dylan, and Abby check the car in Chapter 8, Werewolf Emma will leap out.
- As Kaitlyn, shoot the creature so Abby can remind you about the silver shells.
- Choose to blast Emma with the silver shells to take her out.
- Werewolf Jacob (Chapter 10: Emma) – This also has very specific requirements (thanks to Yuen Kb in the comments section for the tips):
- One requirement is that Jacob has to be infected by Nick in Chapter 6 (noted in Jacob’s section of the guide).
- Follow the steps above about Emma’s infection and the silver shells. The difference here is that Kaitlyn must use normal shells against Emma in Chapter 8.
- Ryan has to shoot and kill Chris in Chapter 9. This removes the curse from his line (i.e., Max and Emma).
- However, because Caleb is still alive at this point, his line of the curse is still active (i.e., Nick and Jacob).
- When Emma encounters Jacob in Chapter 10, their summer fling will turn into a summer sting.
- Werewolf Nick (Chapter 6: Abigail) – There are a couple of character death scenes for Abigail in The Quarry.
- Play the game normally until Nick turns into a monster.
- Then, when you control Abby, don’t shoot him. Abby will get decapitated (that earlier kiss turned out to be a kiss of death).
- Werewolf Emma (Chapter 8: Kaitlyn) – Here are the requirements:
- Emma will have to be infected by Werewolf Max in Chapter 4.
- When Kaitlyn, Dylan, and Abby check the car in Chapter 8, Werewolf Emma will leap out.
- As Kaitlyn, don’t shoot or miss your shots. Emma will tear Abby to shreds.
- Werewolf Emma (Chapter 9: Abby) – Here are the requirements:
- In Chapter 2, have Dylan climb down the trapdoor in Chris’ office.
- Emma has to escape unharmed from Werewolf Max in Chapter 4.
- In Chapter 6, Emma will encounter the hunters who are looking for a werewolf. Fail the QTEs as the monster is chasing you.
- Even if the hunters manage to scare the monster away, Emma will still get bitten. She’ll then head to the vehicle parked in front of the lodge.
- In Chapter 8, Kaitlyn, Abby, and Dylan will find her in the car. Emma and Abby will head to the storm shelter.
- In Chapter 9, Emma will turn. As Abby attempts to escape, the ladder will collapse since it was previously loosened by Dylan all the way back in Chapter 2.
- Laura’s shotgun (Chapter 8: Ryan) – Ryan and Laura will find Jacob in an electrified cage. The werewolf in the other cage, unbeknownst to them, is Nick. There’s a part where Ryan and Jacob are talking, and Laura attempts to shoot the creature. Let Laura complete this action so she can kill Nick. If you interrupt this action, you can either have Nick kill Jacob by using the cages (mentioned above), or let him survive automatically if Chris is killed in Chapter 9.
- Werewolf Emma (Chapter 8: Kaitlyn) – This is somewhat similar to Abby’s death in this particular scene (with Emma infected). The difference is that Abby should die to Nick’s fury (ahem!) in Chapter 6.
- Only Kaitlyn and Dylan will return to the lodge.
- Dylan will check the car and Werewolf Emma attacks them.
- Fail the aim-and-shoot as Kaitlyn and Emma will rip Dylan apart.
- Werewolf Caleb (Chapter 9: Dylan) – Dylan and Kaitlyn end up in the scrapyard. While operating a crane, a werewolf arrives and lunges for Kaitlyn.
- Anyway, when the werewolf arrives, choose either “Warn Kaitlyn” or “Lift Car.” It doesn’t really matter.
- Next, pick “Sound Horn.”
- When Dylan has the blowtorch, fail the QTE to have the werewolf gut him like a fish.
- Werewolf Caleb (Chapter 10: Kaitlyn) – This will happen if Dylan managed to survive until he and Kaitlyn are back at the lodge.
- Pick “Prepare for Battle” and “Wait” until the creature climbs the stairs.
- Don’t shoot it. This will make Kaitlyn run away, and Dylan becomes the victim instead.
- Alternatively, you can pass most QTEs until Kaitlyn has the opportunity to “Run” to the kitchen. Then, when she’s sitting beside Ryan as Caleb is checking the room, choose to “Run” instead of using the “Freezer.” Doing so will immediately cause her to get spotted. Caleb will also dismember Dylan who’s nearby.
Note: I’m not sure if it’s possible to make Dylan’s bite infection worse since I picked the “Chainsaw” option in Chapter 5.
- Crushed by a container (unknown) – I’ve yet to confirm the method for this one, but here’s my guess:
- Emma has to get infected (i.e., keep her alive, then fail her QTE during Chapter 6).
- Dylan may or may not need to be infected (i.e., use the shotgun when his hand is bitten in Chapter 5).
- Kaitlyn and Dylan will return to the lodge. They’ll encounter werewolves as Dylan opens the car (I’m not sure if Kaitlyn missing QTEs lets Dylan get killed). Whatever the case may be, Kaitlyn will run to the scrapyard. There’s a QTE sequence where she drops a container on her and one of the creatures.
- Werewolf Caleb (Chapter 10: Kaitlyn) – All of Kaitlyn’s deaths involve Caleb when the lycan emerges from the lodge’s fireplace.
- Whatever choice you pick (i.e., “Window” or “Beam”), failing QTEs leads to Kaitlyn’s demise.
- Once she gets to the ground floor, you can “Investigate” the room to get the shotgun shells. If you don’t shoot Caleb, she’ll get ripped apart.
- Kaitlyn can also “Run” inside the kitchen and fail the Don’t Breath minigame.
- Once inside the kitchen and sitting next to Dylan, there’s an option to “Run” or use the “Freezer.” If you choose to run away, the werewolf will easily spot both characters.
- Freezing to death (Chapter 10: Kaitlyn) – If you go inside the freezer without using the decoy, Kaitlyn will freeze to death.
Note 1: If you did not acquire the stuffed toy as Abby in Chapter 1, do not attempt to use the Death Rewind if you let Kaitlyn die in the freezer. This may cause your save to revert all the way back to Chapter 1 since the stuffed toy is a key component for that particular outcome.
Note 2: The “Final Girl” achievement in The Quarry requires Kaitlyn to be the sole survivor. You can learn more in our “Final Girl” achievement guide.
- Werewolf Chris (Chapter 9: Ryan) – When Chris is done massacring his family in the manor, Ryan will have a chance to shoot him. If you don’t attack, Chris will cave in Ryan’s face with a shotgun.
- Travis (Chapter 9: Ryan) – This is related to the hostility between Laura and Travis, and the “Mutually Assured” achievement. The difference is that Ryan must shoot Chris. This causes Laura to turn back into a human, whereupon Travis stabs her to death. Ryan and Travis will struggle for the shotgun. If you fail the QTE, Travis gets blasted in the face.
- Blood loss (Chapter 9: Ryan) – These are the requirements:
- Ryan has to fail QTEs so Bobby ends up wounding him even further. Alternatively, you can avoid stabbing Bobby with the knife and he’ll tear it out of Ryan’s body instead.
- When Laura tries to pass on her infection, decline the offer.
- Shoot and kill Chris. When Travis and Laura start talking, Ryan will collapse and die due to blood loss.
- Car crash (Chapter 10: Laura) – This is discussed in the previous section related to Travis Hackett, Laura, and Silas. If you fail the QTEs while they’re in the car, not only will Travis get decapitated, but the vehicle will also crash. Ryan will die instantly.
- Silas kills the trio in the forest (Chapter 10: Laura) – This is discussed in the previous section related to Travis Hackett, Laura, and Silas once they’ve made it to the forest. Laura can either miss her shot or avoid shooting completely, and Silas will get a triple kill. This is only possible if Ryan didn not shoot Bobby during Chapter 3, as the big guy’s dragging Nick. If you do that, Ryan will pick up the vial of werewolf blood, which will cause Silas to ignore him in Chapter 10.
Note: The “Last Man Standing” achievement in The Quarry requires Ryan to be the sole survivor. You can learn more in our “Last Man Standing” achievement guide.
- Pistol shot… sort of (Chapter 9: Laura) – There are a few ways for Laura to die due to a handgun. These will occur in the scene where she and Ryan are dragged to the dining room.
- When Constance attempts to grab the shotgun, succeed in the button mash QTE to blast her in the face. Jedediah will be enraged. Fail the QTE while Laura’s running away and she’ll get shot in the head.
- Fail the button mash QTE and fail the avoidance QTE while Laura’s running away.
- When Ryan gets dragged by Bobby to the dining room, choose to “Distract” the Hacketts. Laura will start screeching. If you spit at Constance, Laura will be able to run away (there’s no QTE). But, if you don’t spit, Constance will get annoyed and shoot Laura in the head.
- Note: To be clear, this isn’t a “true” death for Laura due to the next events, but the scene does show you how she looks “dead” before fading to black.
- “Mutually Assured” achievement (Chapter 9: Ryan) – This is discussed in the previous section related to Travis Hackett.
- Multiple stab wounds (Chapter 9: Ryan) – Still related to Travis Hackett and “Mutually Assured.” However, Ryan will have to shoot Werewolf Chris. This causes Laura to turn back into a human. However, due to Travis’ anger toward her, he’ll stab her to death.
- Silas kills Laura on the highway (Chapter 10: Laura) – This is discussed in the previous section related to Travis Hackett, Laura, and Silas. Fail every QTE to get Travis and Ryan killed (the former by decapitation and the latter via car crash). Laura will then crawl out of the vehicle. Fail the QTEs and Werewolf Silas will turn her into a meal.
- Laura ends the curse but succumbs to her wounds (Chapter 10: Laura) – Similar to the above, you’ll want the car to crash. This time, however, you should successfully complete the QTEs. Laura will blast Silas with the shotgun, but she’ll die due to severe injuries.
- Silas kills the trio in the forest (Chapter 10: Laura) – This is discussed in the previous section related to Travis Hackett, Laura, and Silas once they’ve made it to the forest. Laura can either miss her shot or avoid shooting completely, and Silas will get a triple kill.
- Werewolf Caleb (Chapter 10: Max) – Max will only become playable at the start of Chapter 10, and there’s a specific requirement.
- While playing as Ryan in Chapter 9, you need to kill Chris Hackett as he’s massacring his family.
- Since Chris was the one who bit Max during the prologue, this action will lift the curse. You’ll start Chapter 10 with Max as a playable character.
- As Max, walk along the path until you reach the pier. You can either “Stay” or “Swim to Shore.” Choose to swim and, once Max reaches the opposite jetty, he’ll get bitten in the neck by Werewolf Caleb. Since he’s human again, he dies instantly.
The Quarry is available via Steam.