Weird West lets you use a bunch of weapons to eliminate your foes, as well as armors to boost survivability. Naturally, you’ll probably want to make them more viable in the long run. Here’s our Weird West weapon and armor upgrades guide to help you with materials acquired via mining and skinning.
Note: For more information, check out our Weird West guides and features hub.
Weird West weapon and armor upgrades guide – Mining, skinning, and materials
Weapon upgrades in Weird West – Mining and ores
Weird West has the following weapon categories: revolvers, shotguns, rifles, melee weapons (i.e., knives and hatchets), and bows. While these can drop as loot, they can also be purchased from firearms vendors —all except for bows which are sold by a tailor.
Next up, you’ll need to use a forge. It has the following functions:
- Weapon upgrade – Requires a lower-tier weapon and nuggets. The nuggets that will be used are dependent on the weapon’s rarity/tier (i.e., copper, silver, or gold).
- You can convert bars into nuggets for further upgrades.
- Alternatively, you can convert nuggets into bars, which are then sold to a collector NPC in the bank.
You can pick up bars or nuggets as loot, but I would also advise you to have a pickaxe in your inventory at all times. When you explore caverns, there’s a chance that you’d find an ore deposit. Simply mine this node to obtain a type of nugget.
Armor upgrades in Weird West – Skinning and leathers
Armors in Weird West are basically vests. As for materials, these tend to come from wild animals that you kill. You’ll need a Skinning Toolbag, though, to obtain materials.
The vests, materials, and Skinning Toolbag can be found as loot, but they may also be purchased from tailor NPCs. These shops will also have a tanning rack for upgrades and crafting. Still, there are some caveats:
- The materials required for a vest upgrade should match the type of armor. For instance, a Deerhide Vest naturally requires Deer Hide.
- You might find better variants (i.e., sturdy) that are used for higher tiers.