So, you’ve been trying out the new activity in Destiny 2 called Dares of Eternity. There’s a special encounter that you might’ve missed, and it only happens after defeating the final boss. Here’s our Destiny 2 guide to help you Dares of Eternity Lightning Round, as well as the Special Guest Scar Triumph for the Ultra Plasmic shader.
Destiny 2 Dares of Eternity Lightning Round guide
To be clear, I’m not yet sure how to correctly trigger the Lightning Round in Destiny 2‘s Dares of Eternity. I’m leaning towards sheer randomness, but there might be a surefire way to enable it. I’ve only seen this happen thrice to the LFG groups I’ve joined for normal mode runs. Here’s what I know:
- It’s not dependent on getting 200,000 points when you kill the boss. I’ve had a run where we only had less than 170,000 and it still happened.
- Neither is it based on how fast you kill the boss. In all three instances, we were fighting Crota (who takes longer to kill compared to Zydron).
- I’m certain that it’s not due to the team completing the obstacle courses without falling down.
- Lastly, you don’t need someone to guess the correct door at the end of the second encounter. I’ve stood on the correct one (and teammates stood in the wrong one), and we still reached the Lightning Round.
In any case, the Lightning Round in Dares of Eternity will occur after the final boss is defeated. A progress bar and timer will appear on the left-hand side of your HUD, letting you know that you can earn rewards. Here’s what you can expect:
- Several control points will appear in the room. You’ll want at least two players on each so these get capped.
- The control points will usually have major Taken mobs that need to get eliminated. These include Minotaurs and Ogres. Dozens of weaker mobs will also continue to spawn.
- You do get heavy ammo crates to help with the bout. Likewise, Well of Radiance and the Bubble/Ward of Dawn can improve survivability.
- There are three stages lasting two minutes each. For each round that you complete, you’ll earn an extra chest. However, if you can’t capture all zones in time, the Lightning Round will prematurely end.
Special Guest Scar and more chests
Pay attention to the bottom-right corner of your HUD. You’ll see a notification that Xur’s special contestant has arrived. This mob is usually a Minotaur with a bright glow. You need to kill three of these in separate Lightning Round encounters to complete the Special Guest Scar Triumph. Once you’re finished, click this in the 30th Anniversary Seal panel so you can pick up the Ultra Plasmic shader from Xur.
Anyway, the Dares of Eternity activity in Destiny 2 already gives you one chest, but clearing the entirety of Lightning Round will net you an additional three chests. It’s a decent way to earn extra Treasure Keys and Strange Coins for Xur and Starhorse.