Icarus has a couple of notable currencies that can be used in the Orbital Workshop. This menu has a plethora of unlockable tools that can be used in future runs. Here’s our Icarus guide to help you obtain Orbital Workshop currency and whether or not you can receive rewards if you’re playing offline.
Note: For more information, check out our Icarus guides and features hub.
Icarus Guide: Obtaining the Gold Currency for the Workshop
Generally speaking, the Prospect missions in Icarus provide the gold currency (i..e, “R” symbol) upon completion. You can click on a mission and, apart from the description, you’ll see just how much you can acquire. Here are some examples:
- Livewire Terrain Scan – 100 gold currency.
- Kill List Extermination – 125 gold currency.
- Icestorm Expedition – 125 gold currency.
- Searchlight Scan– 150 gold currency.
- Waterfall Expedition – 175 gold currency.
Note: The Deep Vein Extraction mission grants 150 gold currency. However, you can also farm Exotic/purple currency in the area.
In any case, you can complete the objectives listed therein and return to the dropship to escape the planet. After completing your run, take a look at the character screen or Workshop screen. You should see a mail icon on the upper-right corner of your HUD. Click on this to see a letter congratulating you for finishing the mission. It also has the Workshop credits that you need.
Here’s the kicker: you can only earn gold currency in Icarus if you play online (i.e., Play mode on the main menu). You can still go solo if you want to, but you have to complete missions online.
As for the other modes:
- Outposts – This is a sandbox mode without a session timer. You can just let your creativity run wild by building massive bases and enjoying the scenery. Although you earn some XP, there are no missions here and no obtainable currencies at all.
- Offline – At the moment, we know that there’s a bug that prevents people from receiving gold currency in Icarus if they’re playing offline. This has been confirmed by Dean Hall/Rocket2Gunz in a Steam forum comment seen in the image below.
As of now, we don’t know when a fix would arrive. So, if you already progressed further with your character while playing offline, then your only recourse is to switch to online mode, which means starting from scratch on a new character.