The Oculus Rift and HTC Vive may be a little too pricey for some but there is the Razer OSVR HDK 2 which has just gone on pre-order.
The OSVR HDK 2 comes in at a slightly more reasonable £399.99 and also ships with a couple of games, Descent Underground and Radial G: Racing Revolved. The specs for the headset are listed as follows:
- IQE (Image Quality Enhancement) technology for reduced screendoor effect.
- Faceplate module providing 360-degree positional tracking in combination with an IR Camera operating at 100hz.
- Mainboard for accelerometer, gyroscope and compass sensors. Re-programmable for additional functionality.
- Dual Display 2160×1200 low persistence OLED silver screen with 441 PPI running at 90 fps
- High performance dual lens optics system for ultra sharp images. Includes Individual eye focus for personalized use.
- Belt Box module for easier cable management and additional USB 3.0 connectivity.
- Removable face mask with a bamboo charcoal microfibre foam layer, additional foam padding for cheekbones and nose bridge featuring rubber nose inserts for additional comfort.
The pre-order offer is open only until 28 July which leaves a few days to rustle up some cash. While it’s a cheaper option, it’s only slightly cheaper than the Rift so it’s a tough call especially as this is really aimed at developers. Alternatively, just buy a new GPU.