Despite the bad rep that videogame journalists get, sometimes I feel that I may actually be pretty good at videogames. One of the reasons I love Soulslike’s is because as I progress, I get better. The whole ‘Git Gud’ thing runs true, and I feel myself improving. And then a boss like the Nightweaver comes along in Remnant 2, and I have my ass beat for about an hour. However, perseverance and hard work always pay off, and I sent her back to whatever realm she crawled from; here’s how I did it.
How to beat the Nightweaver in Remnant 2
Nightweaver is the last boss in the Losomn area of Remnant 2. She crawls from the depths of people’s fears and terrorizes the Marrow Parish. To my great dismay, after beating her the first time, she comes back a second time with another phase. You get no more resources, no more health and the arena is arguably much worse depending on your playstyle. Be prepared to bury some time into this boss; the Nightweaver isn’t a quick battle in Remnant 2.
Nightweaver Phase 1
She is going to come at you fast and hard from the get-go. Be prepared to roll a lot. If your stamina isn’t up to scratch, you may want to go away and grind some trait points before this battle. Nightweaver has four main attacks to watch out for in Remnant 2.
- Shooting Stars – These fire from her chest and will seek you out. They don’t do a huge amount of damage, but they are an annoyance and can come very soon after her larger attacks to push you over the edge. Wait for them to get close before rolling, or use the environment to burst them. They have a twinkly audio cue.
- Swipes and slam – This one is a real killer. Nightweaver will dash across the map, destroying it as she goes. When she hits you, you will be knocked back. She follows this up with a ground slam that will knock you over completely. This can kill you instantly, so keep an eye out. It will require two rolls to avoid.
- Spectral Rain – After being staggered, she will rain spectral goo on you; this is the easiest to dodge and can be easily sprinted away from.
- Nightweaver Spiders – Nightweaver will throw her hands into the air, exposing her heart. Out of her chest will appear spiders that will chase you down. This is an important part of the first phase. The spiders contain loot. Furthermore, her heart is her weak spot. If you can, focus fire here, as it will cause much more damage and can be destroyed, taking her ability to spawn spiders away.
Nightweaver Phase 2
So you think it’s all over? WRONG. Now you’re inside the asylum with all its small corridors and little rooms. I found that until the spider spawning phase I’ll get to later, the best approach is to stay in the main room downstairs. This room has the most space to dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge.
A number of Nightweavers attacks can instantly drain almost two-thirds of your health. These can come from the walls or from charged attacks. The main this to remember is always to stay away from the walls.
- Lunge with stars – This move comes in two forms. One in which she will jump backward, fire stars, and then come swiping at you, and one without the stars. Either way, time your roll, and don’t be tempted to dodge early.
- Double Attack – This one is what got me the most with Nightweaver in Remnant 2. She will charge forward, perform two sets of slashes with a long telegraph, and finish up with a charged ground slam. This requires three very precisely timed rolls that can only really be learned from practice. The final slam does massive damage. I wish Remnant 2 had lock on, an oversight if you ask me.
- Dream Theif – This has a huge windup but can still catch you unawares if you miss it. She will throw her hands out to the sides and charge the player down. A new camera angle will be shown as the Nightweaver sucks the life from the downed player.
In single-player, I found that there was a point where she would be kicked off after a certain amount of health. My research shows that this is actually a hidden quick-time event in the game, but you won’t see a prompt. In multiplayer, it is possible to shoot her off the downed player. If you have anything less than ¾ health, expect to die.
- Teleport – Nightwever disappears, then pops back out of a wall or floor to attack. Stay away from the walls.
- Spider Spawn – Nightweaver will disappear down one of the corridors or rooms in the Asylum. She will spawn spiders to find you. These guys will replenish your ammo, so they can be handy. However, if you want some cheap shots, find out where they’re running from and empty some clips into her while her heart is exposed.
Persevere, and you will succeed. She is an absolute nightmare (Get it?) of a boss due to her fast movements and relentless attacks. I am incredibly impatient and love to dispatch enemies as fast as possible; this is not the case with Nightweaver. You will have to exercise patience and timing in Remnant 2 for success.
Rewards for beating Nightweaver in Remnant 2
Once you have beaten this devourer of dreams, you will receive x1,163 Scrap, Tome of Knowledge, x5 Lumenite Crystal, Cursed Dream Silks, and the Nightweaver’s Finger if you destroy her heart. Finally, Nightsilk is used to create the Nightfall; check out how here.